4.6 V8 Explorer engine swap labor effort | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 V8 Explorer engine swap labor effort

muscleclone

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited 4.6
Hello,

I plan to swap out the engine. My is 2003 4x4 4.6 V8. Got a 2005 4.6 v8 explorer engine from junk yard. Just wondering how much time should I plan for the swap and what is the trick involved, if any that I should know or prepare to make the swap process go faster. from the first look, the throttle body seemed to be incompatible in terms of wiring. Not quite sure what else is not compatible between these two engines.

Thanks In Advance

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I plan to swap out the engine. My is 2003 4x4 4.6 V8. Got a 2005 4.6 v8 explorer engine from junk yard. Just wondering how much time should I plan for the swap and what is the trick involved, if any that I should know or prepare to make the swap process go faster. from the first look, the throttle body seemed to be incompatible in terms of wiring. Not quite sure what else is not compatible between these two engines.

Thanks In Advance

Kevin

To be honest from what others have posted here it is double but a pain in the ass.

Here is what I know.. I think all this info is correct but please don't take it to heart as I have never done it. I only know what I have read here and elsewhere.

Transmission be housings are different.
Torque converter is a little different.
Pcm units are incompatible as well as all the wiring because of that so you have to rewire most of the computer components
Intake isn't right
Cat pipes are a little different but modifyable

That's all I know of really. It is doable.. But tricky from what I read. Good luck man I envy you I would love to do this in mine!!

I did not know there was a difference in engines from 03 to 05 engines, the body style looks the same, I know in 06 ford changed the body style and changed the 4.6 engine to the 3valve 4.6 engine producing 292 horsepower

I did not know there was a difference in engines from 03 to 05 engines, the body style looks the same, I know in 06 ford changed the body style and changed the 4.6 engine to the 3valve 4.6 engine producing 292 horsepower

OK I'm an idiot....

I thought you had a 4.0 I read your post too fast.

Sorry man! You're good they should be identical

Is yours throttle by wire or cable throttle? I think in 03 they changed that but even so that is no big deal anyway you could take parts of your engine to make stuff work

Thank You for the inputs.
The 03 engine in my explorer has the provision to hookup the throttle cable. The 05 Engine I got doesn't not have the provision to hookup the throttle cable, instead an electronic module attached to it.

Thank You for the inputs.
The 03 engine in my explorer has the provision to hookup the throttle cable. The 05 Engine I got doesn't not have the provision to hookup the throttle cable, instead an electronic module attached to it.

Right. I would assume you can switch those parts to the new engine though? Don't know for sure but I can't see why not. Should just be the throttle body you would need off the old one and put it in place of the new engines throttle body.

Will take your advice and swap the throttle body.

Thanks
Kevin

i know this is old but how did the swap go? what problems did u come across when putting it in and out?

Back