Wanted - 4.6 v8 for an 03 explorer limited MI only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 4.6 v8 for an 03 explorer limited MI only

Parts or services wanted

nnredman

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' explorer limited v8
I need a new engine for my 2003 ford explorer limited. My truck is in great shape and I would really love to keep it but I dont know if I should get my engine re-bulit, do and engine exchange, or just buy a new one. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has 200,000 miles on it and bout three weeks ago I started hearing a faint knocking noise so I brought it in and got an oil change and I told them about it and they said it was probably because of all the miles and things were just getting worn out. A week later my hi temp low oil light started coming on and the knocking was getting louder so I pulled over and checked the oil and it seemed to be fine so I drove it home and to work the next day only for it to start to knock so bad that it was louder then diesel trucks. I brought it in again and they said that it was a really bad rod knock and its ready to blow up any minute I can't keep oil pressure so it gets hot but it hasn't ever overheated, since told me it was going to go any minute I have parked it and its been just sitting there for over a month now and I'm left with no truck and I'm borrowing someone's car. I need to get it running again I called a engine exchange place and they told me 4700 installed for a rebuilt engine. To me that sounds pretty high, do you have any other suggestions for me?

How much downtime do you have and are you able to do the swap/work on motors yourself? Or will you be paying someone?

Have you tried searching on car-part.com? They will search by miles from you, so that could find one fairly close...

you only have rebuild the one you have or buy a reman engine, you cannot buy a new engine for it.

new engines, are and always be only available during the first year of manufacturing of the vehicle and they are complete engines.

everything else on the market is a reman engine.

I will be paying someone to do the swap or re-build but I know someone who would be able to do it for 500 to 1000 dollars. I just don't know if I should do the engine swap which will include a warranty but seems to be pricey, or if I should buy one from a slavage yard, I know I won't get a warranty with an engine from a salvage yard but I would save myself some money but not sure if that would be worth it or not.

Also thank you for the site I will go check it out now to see if I can find something.

Not necessarily, the yards around here offer warranties...

My last Mustang had an Explorer motor in it with a 3 year warranty from a local yard. That motor cost me $800...

So funny, my dad calls and says he needs a 4.6 V8 for an Explorer. Just bought one with no motor today and now I'm on the lookout too:D

If you guys keep your eyes open and know where to look there is endless options with the mod motor. 4.6 2v, 4.6 4v, 5.4 2v, 5.4 4v. aluminum block, cast block.. and a whole fleet of fords running them... if you want to get crazy you can buy the intake adapters and run a 5.4 block (a tuned 5.4 picks up 44 ponies and 93 lbs torque) with your stock intake system or go even further like i want and go with a aluminum 5.4 dohc navigator motor..... but anyway im drifting off into horsepower land again :) you can get a 4.6 block cheap if you want to go with a cast block but our aluminum ones seem to be harder to find.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I ended up going with an engine exchange, I haven't gotten my truck back yet but I'm hoping all goes well!

I bought an 4.0 engine from engines direct. It ended up costing around 2600 but they returned about 400 for my old engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you do a rebuild, I say check out CHP for ther stroker 5.1L kit for the 4.6. Then rebuild/reuse your heads, intake. Get some TF cams, rockers, and etc... Its not the cheapest thing to do. But since a new motor will cost a whole lot more, and a rebuld is the only other option. Just bite the bullet and build better. Just my .2.

Back