• Register Today It's free!

4.6 V8 Spark Plugs

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
I am getting set to order some spark plugs as I am coming up on 100k miles and have a couple road trips ahead, but can't find a consistent answer on what plugs to use.

I have a 2008, with the 4.6 V8 and black coil boots. Should I use:

Motorcraft SP462
Motorcraft SP514
Autolite HT1
Champion 9406
Champion 7406

Or something entirely different! I am leaning towards the Motorcraft options, but not sure on the difference between them other than the $1.15 price difference.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always stick with the autolite platinum plugs nothing fancy just the stock plug.... you will probably find when you pull your plugs they will look almost perfect.... ive learned along the way that a properly working obdII engines plugs like 200k miles.... depending on how hard it is to pull and replace them kind of sets the pace on what price and plug to install... if it takes you 5+ hours go with IR plugs if its like 30 minutes experimentation is not too painful and try out different plugs... but screw bosch plugs

autolite is the motorcraft plug. The SP462 is discontinued for the new design which is the SP514.

I went autolite. they were $1 cheaper, for same exact plug. Runs like new.

Most I have seen use other plugs pull them out shortly after! not worth saving $8.

I still see most using the OEM two piece Motorcraft's or Autolite's on the 3V engine with the older design heads. The method of extraction is what seems to vary. Some have used an impact, others cringe at the thought. One thing everyone seems to agree
upon is using nickel anti seize on the smooth electrode shield before installation. Search "3V spark plugs" and you will find MANY threads. Here's that scary TSB and just one of the threads from the forum.

SPARK PLUG REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS - 4.6L 3V / 5.4L 3V / 6.8L 3V - REVISED
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=142690

Early 3 valve V-8 Spark Plug Removal
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314779

I easily extracted all of mine with 135x miles on them using my own version of that TSB. Patience and time is key. So is Deep Creep and a breaker bar.

Back