Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I've removed the sway bar and pushed it aside. Oil pan is unbolted at the moment.

Before I remove the cross member below the oil pan, just want to make sure there isn't an easier way. This seams easier than unbolting the engine mounts and lifting the engine/trans.

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bar comes off easy enough. Didn't see bolts listed in torque specs. I found them to be torqued at 40 ft lbs.

IMG_2108.JPG

#4 is that the cement filled bar?

I'm not sure if it's filled. Doesn't seem heavy enough to be. It bolts to the motor mount brackets on both sides with one bolt per side. What did I screw up by taking it off? lol

Oh no you are all good Number4, I am just a curious sort, I remember a semi epic thread a while back about a mechanic that removed a cross member with a reciprocating saw, and was wondering if it was the same.

lol! That's the thread I was recalling too.

Something about transmission crossmember bolts being impossible to loosen, as I recall. Seem to remember there are 4 per side, 2 inside of frame, 2 bottom. imp

Something about transmission crossmember bolts being impossible to loosen, as I recall. Seem to remember there are 4 per side, 2 inside of frame, 2 bottom. imp
Yeah, that's the trans crossmember. Im not really sure what the one I took off does, it almost seems like a sway bar of sorts. I didn't see it mentioned in the manual (Haynes.) They certainly don't list it in the instructions of taking the oil pan off. As simple as it was to remove, you'd think they would have.

I'll have to look at my '04 which is 4wd, see if it has the bar too.

All that bar does is replace the front diff in the 2wd models to help stiffen up the frame rails under the engine. There is no special procedure to remove it or reinstall.

Back