4.6L Power Steering Type Whine Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6L Power Steering Type Whine Noise

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
This engine noise is often misdiagnosed as an alternator or more commonly a power steering pump, a costly guess. In this video I show you how much it sounds like a power steering whine, how to test for it and then replace the faulty components. This affects the 4.6l and 5.4l in many different Ford vehicles, and as such I will be posting this procedure in many different sections as to not leave anyone out that may have this concern. This can be a very annoying noise but is such a simple fix.

nice video, very helpful.

btw do you know what other alternative tool I can use to install the teflon seal on the power steering lines? my power steering pump is making weird noises (and slowly leaking) and have to replace it soon. the service manual uses a teflon seal adapter tool which is quite pricey.

will a pick work?

thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

nice video, very helpful.

btw do you know what other alternative tool I can use to install the teflon seal on the power steering lines? my power steering pump is making weird noises (and slowly leaking) and have to replace it soon. the service manual uses a teflon seal adapter tool which is quite pricey.

will a pick work?

thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

It is hard to explain but I put a bit of power steering fluid on it and stretch it out with my fingers then work it onto the fitting, once it is on there all the way around at the tip I use my finger nail and work it down the threads around and around the fitting until it gets to the bottom. I have been doing that for 9 years at the dealer never had a problem with leaks.

Back