4 cylinder Ranger Towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 cylinder Ranger Towing

I own a 2008 regular cab Ranger with a 4 cylinder automatic transmission. When I bought this vehicle new, the towing package was not available even though I ordered the vehicle and did not buy it off the lot. I have since added a Class 3 hitch and the trailer light connection is already there. My question is that is there a transmission cooler already on the vehicle or is that only installed as part of the towing package? I see from Ford that I am allowed to tow up to 2240 pounds. I have 2 different jet skis on individual trailers with one weighing about 900 pounds and the other about 750-800 pounds. I'm thinking about getting a double trailer which would put the weight at around 2000 pounds. Is the trans cooler already there like the trailer wiring connector or should I need to get Ford to put one in. This summer I'm going to take the jet ski on a 4 hour ride to NY State which is the farthest I've ever towed anything. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own a 2008 regular cab Ranger with a 4 cylinder automatic transmission. When I bought this vehicle new, the towing package was not available even though I ordered the vehicle and did not buy it off the lot. I have since added a Class 3 hitch and the trailer light connection is already there. My question is that is there a transmission cooler already on the vehicle or is that only installed as part of the towing package? I see from Ford that I am allowed to tow up to 2240 pounds. I have 2 different jet skis on individual trailers with one weighing about 900 pounds and the other about 750-800 pounds. I'm thinking about getting a double trailer which would put the weight at around 2000 pounds. Is the trans cooler already there like the trailer wiring connector or should I need to get Ford to put one in. This summer I'm going to take the jet ski on a 4 hour ride to NY State which is the farthest I've ever towed anything. Thanks in advance.

Tom

I don't think Ford ever offered a 2" reciever on the ranger- I've never seen one on the lot with one.

You are pushing the limits with the auto trans and a 4 cyl, but I'd think you'd be OK assuming you don't load the truck down with a bunch of stuff.

Yes they do offer a 2" receiver. A friend has the same year in the Sport model with a manual transmission and 6 cylinder, his has a factory 2" receiver.

You will be right at the transmission's limits, but should be fine, provided you don't pile another 1000 lbs worth of stuff in the bed of the truck.

-Joe

Thanks guys for the information. I checked with Ford today and they tell me the transmission cooler installed is the same with or without the tow package. For the time being, I'm going to tow each pwc separately with it's own trailer. This is under 1000 lbs. If I ever go to a double pwc trailer, I'll think I'll get another transmission cooler as per what I've read under other posts.

Is it under warranty? As long as you don't exceed the weight limits I'd tow away.

Back