• Register Today It's free!

4 inch suspension lift....

i8u

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, St. Louis, Roaring Fork Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 SR5 4.7L 4runner
How do 33x10.5x15' look on a 2nd gen with a 4 inch lift? I would love 33x12.5 but do not want to go to a wider wheel just yet. Will I need a body lift also to clear the 33's? If the tires look too narrow with the lift I will get new wheels and wider tires but would rather spend the cash elsewhere like a e-locker.... any personal experiances how much more stability is gained with 12.5 wide tire as opposed to 10.5?

Thanks in advance.....

I have searched but it seems all the second gens with 33's have a body lift. I would love to see an explorer with no body lift and a 4 inch suspension lift and what tires they went with......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They'll probably look alright after you bust out the sawzall and cut those fenders back about an inch or 2. :D I had to trim about an inch and a half with 5" lift.

I think most of us add the body lift as a 4" superlift runs around 1600 plus another 1500 for install and miscellaneous items (brake lines, drive line, etc....)

I tried running a 33x12.50 and decided to buy 33x10.50 to eliminate a lot of the rub on suspension components. That and legally my tread needs to be under my fender. Fiberglass costs too much, and the only fender flares offered for my 99 are the ugly swoopy Xenon's.

Very nice exporer! Hmm how much of a body lift do you think I would need in conjunction with a 4 inch suspension lift to clear 33's and not have to trim the fender. I am not opposed to cutting it though just looking at my options. Thanks for the advice and pics. I think the 10.5's look great on your truck. Now I just need to make sure they will work with the combo I go with..... :thumbsup:

Realistically I think you would be able to fit them with 4" and no BL.
If you want to avoid cutting I would guess that you will need to add 2-3 inches.

The problem is the back of the fenderwell by the front doors. The curve of the fender suddenly flattens out and goes straight down as Ford never intended there to be anything bigger than a 265-75 that most Eddie's come with. Without lifting the body clear above the tire you will find that you rub under compression. With 5" I had very very minimal rub on the street, but a lot off road.

Check page three of my elite registry (link in my sig) to see what we ended up trimming.

Thank a ton!

:thumbsup: :)

If you want to fix the rubbing problem on suspension components just get rims with the correct back spacing. I was rubbing my sway bars when I had my 33/12.50's on my stock 15x7 rims. I got 15x8 rims with 3.75" back spacing and I dont rub anymore.

Texplorer said:
If you want to fix the rubbing problem on suspension components just get rims with the correct back spacing. I was rubbing my sway bars when I had my 33/12.50's on my stock 15x7 rims. I got 15x8 rims with 3.75" back spacing and I dont rub anymore.

:D grin I had rub on my stock steel rims when trial fitting. Hence I sold the used 33x12.5's I picked up and bough tnew 33x10.50.

I also did this to eliminate some of the fender rub while turning with compressed suspension.

Okay. So I am still undecided to how wide of a tire I will want with the 4 inch lift.

What would you recomend as far as tire size with the stock wheel and also with a 15x8 one?

33x10.5x15, 33x11.5x 15, 33x12.5x15 seem to be what I am considering as far as tire size. The 10.5's would be for the stock wheels and anything larger would most likely go on the 15x8 wheels. What do you think would look best? Anything else I should consider or might be over looking?

Texplorer said:
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you"

That's got to be my favorite signature on the site :D :thumbsup:

i8u:
if you are going with only 4" go with the 10.5's
I have never seen a 33x11.5
If you are going to add the BL go with the 12.5's

In the end it is all a matter of personal preference really.

i8u there is another option that I really don't know anything about but I've seen it. Some people install the 4" suspension and then do an SOA in the rear. The SOA gives you about 5.5 inches of lift for the rear so then you would tighten your torsions in the front to match the rear and that will fit 33's perfectly. Just what I've read.

dreamr said:
That's got to be my favorite signature on the site :D :thumbsup:

i8u:
if you are going with only 4" go with the 10.5's
I have never seen a 33x11.5
If you are going to add the BL go with the 12.5's

In the end it is all a matter of personal preference really.

Neither had I but I am pretty sure I saw them on bfgs website for the size chart for their at/ko. Now I am going to double check.....

Can I see a pic of your explorer with the 10.5's from the front or rear. Also what kind of changes you made to your suspension if it is not to much to ask....

Also are you running the 10.5's on the stock 15x7 wheel?

i8u said:
Neither had I but I am pretty sure I saw them on bfgs website for the size chart for their at/ko. Now I am going to double check.....

Can I see a pic of your explorer with the 10.5's from the front or rear. Also what kind of changes you made to your suspension if it is not to much to ask....

Also are you running the 10.5's on the stock 15x7 wheel?

Hmm I am not sure if I have front and rear shots. check my registry and some of the runs I have linked to from there.

I am running a 15x8 wheel currently.

As to suspension work, again check the registry as it details everything.

Just click the blue, purple, and black little phrase down there. :D Sorry dinners almost ready so I am logging off rather than typing more ;)

I will check out the rest of your regestry later.

Anyone have the word on the best deal for a 2nd gen 4inch superlift kit? So far, $1700 seems to be the best price I can find so far..... Can I get it for less elsewhere?

Thanks again....

So if I go to a 15x8 wheel I should get 3.75 back spacing? Seems like this is what I will use with a bfg at ko in a 33x10.5x15. Sound good?

Hey dreamer....can you fix the links in your sig? no clicky worky.....

Back