4"Lift 97 2wd Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4"Lift 97 2wd Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SH*T!!

Sorry guys... I just checked out explorer pro comp page, it's said a 3" lift kit for 2wd explorers, so why is that we 4wd guys cannot get this lift?? would you please tell me what else besides the transfer case, a 2WD explorer doesnt have that let you have this lift kit..??:mad:

Thanks again...

Sorry about my double post....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The front differential, axles and cv joints. The 2WD doesn't have all that so the front wheels are a lot easier to lift. You don't have to worry about exceeding the angle between the front wheels and the differential.

Thanks Robert!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:bounce:

PRERUNNER STYLE

Ok all i need your opinion! Sinc i have a 2wd i want to make it a prerunner. So i'm deciding to swap out my current grill gaurd and bumper with a preunner style gaurd and bumper, take out the silver fender flairs, and swap the back bumper with a black bumper that my friend gave me. Do you think i should do it? It won't cost me that much money since i'm making the prerunner grill myself and already have the bumper.

-Ray

Hey man, i'll tell you what, if you wanna do it, i would say go for it! personally i think it would look Hott! i like the look of the prerunner bumpers and the black bumper would look good too. I say go for it!

nice job on the mods! where did you get your spindles put on or did you them yourself? and how much?

WARNING!!!!

If you are guys are deciding to get the 3" lift spindle and plan on doing some hard wheeling or get air then don't get it. I bent my spindle after i went offroading and got 4" feet of air. So yah just a warning to you guys!

Re: WARNING!!!!

Originally posted by SCEXPLORER
If you are guys are deciding to get the 3" lift spindle and plan on doing some hard wheeling or get air then don't get it. I bent my spindle after i went offroading and got 4" feet of air. So yah just a warning to you guys!

Why would the 3" spindle be weaker than the stock one? I would think that the stock spindle might bend just as easy if you got 4' of air. Please explain.

Its all about torque. Since the 3" lift spindle is longer and brings down the location of the force there is more torque to bend it. Just as it is easier to bend a bar at the end of it then it would higher up on the bar. But, who knows, the stock one could've bent also, is just that i don't hear anyone bending their stock spindle.

-Ray

Originally posted by soupbone
Looks good dude! And yes the 31s look bigger than normal. Maybe its the offset of the wheels. Maybe my tires wouldnt look so bad afterall if i lifted mine. hrmmmm the mod bug is biting me. but its like twice as expensive to lift a 4wd suspension.

I have a similar manik guard. I jacked it up last time i went wheeling. Had bend it back into shape :)

I bent my the lower part of my grill gaurd and am wondering how did you bend it back into place?

I bent the driver's side part of my grill guard which protects the headlight.
I bent it forward when a fence post got between the guard and my truck while backing out.
Anyone know how to bend it back?
Karl

Karl,
I would suggest that you Drive up against something that won't leave a Mark on your Guard, and then EASE it forward untill the person watching it says that it is straight, then your all done!

Originally posted by SCEXPLORER
Its all about torque. Since the 3" lift spindle is longer and brings down the location of the force there is more torque to bend it. Just as it is easier to bend a bar at the end of it then it would higher up on the bar. But, who knows, the stock one could've bent also, is just that i don't hear anyone bending their stock spindle.

-Ray
You don't hear anyone jumping their stock Explorers 4' in the air either :eek: :D

Here's some updated pics when i went offroading

Attachments

• dirty side view.jpg
    dirty side view.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,866

Another one

Attachments

• offroad pic 1.jpg
    offroad pic 1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 571

Last one

Attachments

• offroad pic.jpg
    offroad pic.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 518

Look what happened!

Look at the front tire and how it is bent! That's what happened when I got 4ft of air.

Attachments

• bent tire1.jpg
    bent tire1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 587

geeez whats bent? u should of got shots of the actual jump too ;)

I really don't know wat's bent. I brought it to two mechanics and they don't know wat is the problem. They only could think of the spindle but i don't know.

Back