• Register Today It's free!

4" lift going to 6" lift

Foggman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 2dr Sport
Has anyone seen a write up on doing a spring over axle swap for the rear? I have a 94 w/ a 4" lift and am planning on going to 5.5 or 6. If I get stock springs and do a SOA and the either get the 6" lift coils or coil spacers is that going to be level? I kind of like the sag look in the rear a little, but I hate it when the front is lower than the rear.

Also what kind of spring perches should I get and where can I get those from? and should I weld the shock mounts to the axle tube or is there another way to do it? and what length shock should I buy...front and rear?

Thanks, Lance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if u do the the spoa in the rear and the 4 inch plus the 1.5 inch spacers the ass will sit up just a touch....i did it on my 94....really happy with it....i used the morosso perches from lordco...and for the shocks i used my stock ones and used the rear swaybar mounting holes...i want to get new brackets and new shocks but for now it works fine..if u do a search in the forum for spoa it will bring up a few really good links....thats what i did..hope this helps....

sweet, thanks man! I am starting to collect parts right now so it won't be for a while. I have 32's right now, do you think it will look goofy with the 5.5-6" lift with 32's?

OK lets start over a little here.

First, what 4 inch lift do you have? I ask this because of Camber. Unless you have a superlift you probably wont be able to get the camber anywhere near correct without new drop brackets. The stupid lift drop brackets have a second set of drop holes (they use the same brackets for 4 or 5.5 inch lifts) Under NO circumstances should you try just adding longer springs without knowing how you will set your camber.

That being said use the search. Look for "SOA" the "p" is verry rarely used on this board. You will find plenty of writeups on the process.

Shocks
Stock length rear shocks work fine if you use the top hole of the sway bar bracket on the axle tube. For front why dont you get 6 inch lift shocks for an explorer?

Perches
THese are preferance. If you hunt around you will find many solutions. The only tip Ican give is if you look around online there are some perches that are 7 inches long. THese are supposed to help prevent axle wrap

Please, try searching, Every question you have asked is already answered onhere.

Foggman said:
sweet, thanks man! I am starting to collect parts right now so it won't be for a while. I have 32's right now, do you think it will look goofy with the 5.5-6" lift with 32's?

the 32s should look just fine....my truck is a limited so it had the stock lower valance with lights in iti had to cut a verry little ammount from it and on the running board where it lips into the front fender .....i could not go any bigger then 33s with out more lift or pulling the lower valance and running boards......

Foggman said:
I personally think it will look funny with that much lift and only 32s. Especially since you can fit 35s that high. Good luck with the project though. :thumbsup:

thanks for your input fellas...I think I am going to hold off on the extra lift untill I have to replace the 32's, then I'll go to 33's and extra lift

Well its not really that I want to go higher...its mostly that I want to get those spring mounts out from under the axle....and the only way I can think of doing that is to go higher with SOA. and I think I'll stay with 33's because I still use my truck for a daily driver, and I know I can use 35's for daily driving but I don't want to have to re-gear my axles AGAIN....I am going from 3.73 to 4.10 as we speak and I am not convinced that 4.10's will give me the power I want on and off the road turning over 35's.

but you never know...3 years from now I might buy a new truck and jack the old explorer all the way to the sky! (but I'll never sell it willingly)

Back