• Register Today It's free!

4" lift questions

bmxr152

Reaction score
City, State
Bakersfield, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Hey everyone im new to explorer forum, but not new to forum stuff. Anyways i had a question i just picked up a 91 xlt and it has a rough country 4" lift, but wanted a little more. my question is if i put f150 coils up front with the 4" lift will i need to get longer drop down brackets or anything? Not to knowledgeable about lifted stuff. Anyways i was also going to do the SOA in back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the link, i was searching, but couldn't really find anything. im guessing i will need 2" or so more shock, but just wondering about everything else, steering, driveshaft, ect...i guess the real question is will the 4" rough country kit work at 6" of lift with no problems? I know Four0Sports has the RC kit but its the 4" kit at 4" i want to take the 4" kit and make it 5.5 with the f150 coils if that makes any sense. Anyways thanks for the help.

might as well just sas:D

I was able to get the camber/alignment right with a 2" lift with no drop brackets.... So, I would think that you could user camber busings to align your 4" lift brackets with 5.5 - 6" of lift. I don't know for sure though.

Yeah if i had had the money believe me i would. Thats what i have planned for down the road. I just want to get a little more flex out of it. I took the sway bars off already and that was a nice difference.

I was able to get the camber/alignment right with a 2" lift with no drop brackets.... So, I would think that you could user camber busings to align your 4" lift brackets with 5.5 - 6" of lift. I don't know for sure though.

Oh ok. What about the steering linkage and stuff like that, you think the 4" kit should be good to 6"?

if you have a picknpull in your area axles are 150 each and get leaf springs shouldent cost more than what you want to do so why waste the money now?

with the 4" lift i did NOT need new camber bushings, the combo of the springs and drop brackets put everything back at near perfect..

now, on to adding lift. adding f-150 seats is possible with this kit, althought you WILL need adjustable camber bushings after doing this. then you run into more steering messes, does the truck have a drop pitman arm? most drop pitman arms arent enough of a drop as it is with a 4" lift, you might wanna look into an exaggerated drop arm, i think skyjacker sells them.

for the rear.. the simplest way to get 5.5 or so inches would be with a SOA swap. if the person who lifted the truck bought the RC leaf packs you could use an extended shackle to get another 1.5".

if the person got their shocks from RC they should be long enough for another inch or 2 of lift. when i put on the longer ext shocks RC sent me i had to compress them slightly to get them on the mounts.

What size tire is on the truck now? thats where you will get the most clearance, taller tires. honestly, 4" is a good amount of lift for any vehicle and you are able to fit 33s with a decent amount of fender gap still left.

if you have the lift leaf packs and wanna go to a SAS i have my stock leaf packs left and would trade you.. i didnt buy the leaf packs, just did an AAL and shackle.

wow, i was referenced in a post for knowledge, that is amazing!

i got $300 to spend. You think i could do it for around that?

camber bushings are about $60, alignment between 60 and 80 plus labor to install the camber bushings, f-150 seats are about $35. have you thought about a 2" body lift to get the extra height you wanted?

with the 4" lift i did NOT need new camber bushings, the combo of the springs and drop brackets put everything back at near perfect..

now, on to adding lift. adding f-150 seats is possible with this kit, althought you WILL need adjustable camber bushings after doing this. then you run into more steering messes, does the truck have a drop pitman arm? most drop pitman arms arent enough of a drop as it is with a 4" lift, you might wanna look into an exaggerated drop arm, i think skyjacker sells them.

for the rear.. the simplest way to get 5.5 or so inches would be with a SOA swap. if the person who lifted the truck bought the RC leaf packs you could use an extended shackle to get another 1.5".

if the person got their shocks from RC they should be long enough for another inch or 2 of lift. when i put on the longer ext shocks RC sent me i had to compress them slightly to get them on the mounts.

What size tire is on the truck now? thats where you will get the most clearance, taller tires. honestly, 4" is a good amount of lift for any vehicle and you are able to fit 33s with a decent amount of fender gap still left.

if you have the lift leaf packs and wanna go to a SAS i have my stock leaf packs left and would trade you.. i didnt buy the leaf packs, just did an AAL and shackle.

wow, i was referenced in a post for knowledge, that is amazing!

Right now im running a 33" tire, and as far as the leafs in the back im not sure what kind they are but there not SOA. Like you guys are saying its almost not worth it to do all that when i could just save up for a SAS. I let you know on the leafs for the trade to

i got $300 to spend. You think i could do it for around that?

an SAS? No way. The small parts and rebuilding the junkyard axles will add up fast. I've thought about it...

As far as adding 2" to your 6"... you will definitely need extended brake lines. You might be ok with a dropped pitman arm that is designed for the 5.5" lift (skyjacker), but you could also look into the SuperRunner steering setup.

SAS? no way man, keep the TTB alive! it is much more costly to do a SAS, besides you already have a good lift on a good axel. look around on the site at pictures of some of the lifted TTBs. there are a few threads floating around with guys showing their trucks in action, youd be surprised at what these vehicles are capable of with the TTB.

SAS? no way man, keep the TTB alive! it is much more costly to do a SAS, besides you already have a good lift on a good axel. look around on the site at pictures of some of the lifted TTBs. there are a few threads floating around with guys showing their trucks in action, youd be surprised at what these vehicles are capable of with the TTB.

Yeah ive seen some of the pics and you can get a good amount of flex with theses TTb's. Maybie i should keep the 4" lift how it is and spend the money else where, what do you think? The f150 coils spacers with the 4" lift worth the time and money?

honestly.. if it were me id keep the lift the way it is. if the front starts to sag then add the spacers to level it back out.

invest your money elsewhere. what gears are you running? do you want to add some accessories to your truck? these are things i would look into. especially with bigger tires.. gearing is very important.

Im not sure what gears are in it. i will find out tomorrow when i jack the axle off the ground. But yeah whats good with 33" with these explorers?

from 4.10-4.88 is good

Oh and i would do front and back together right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, front and back at the same time. 4.56 is the accepted 'optimum' for a dual purpose rig on 33's.

Back