4" lift ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4" lift ?

Newdieselguy

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Hi, new to the forum and I was wondering what's the best way to get 4" of lift in the rear after a spring over conversion?

Also does anyone have any pics of there first gen explorers with 4" with 33's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm also a bit confused as to what you're wanting.

to get 4" of lift in the rear after a spring over conversion?

I read this as if you were going to do a SOA and then needed another 4" more than that.

But then you mention 33s, so you surely aren't lifting the rear 9-10" for 33s.

So, are you doing a spring over or are you looking for an alternative?

Ya I always thought that the spring over would give about 5.5" which would be perfect for a 6" lift, but I was thinking of doing a 4" but I wanted the added clearance under the axle of the spring over. So ya I only want 4" and I know that the explorer springs on a ranger will lift it about 1.5" so what about ranger springs on the ex to lower it?

Why not stay spring under and get 4"lift springs or add a leafs or aal + shackles?

Short answer:no, I have yet to see someone make a SOA lift of 4". Shackles have to be too short and springs have to be too flat to make it work.

I have looked into this too since I dont like the loss of ground clearance caused the SUA.

~Mark

SOA + Ranger springs should net you around 3.5-4.5" lift (Ranger springs no doubt are about 1-2" less lift then Ex springs, depending on what specific body styles the springs are from).

SOA + Ranger springs should net you around 3.5-4.5" lift (Ranger springs no doubt are about 1-2" less lift then Ex springs, depending on what specific body styles the springs are from).

But the Ranger springs are software than the Explorer springs so axle wrap will be worse with the SOA.

~Mark

^ I think you mean softer :D
Why not do the SOA and take out a leaf? That should drop it down to a little over 4"
You could do those box shackles. I forget what the technical name is, but that'd drop the rear a little bit

^ I think you mean softer :D
Why not do the SOA and take out a leaf? That should drop it down to a little over 4"
You could do those box shackles. I forget what the technical name is, but that'd drop the rear a little bit

haha.. yup.. softer.. was on the phone and the word "software" is more natural to type than softer.

~Mark

I never noticed much difference in axle wrap when I went from Ranger springs to Ex springs on my BII (they both hopped pretty bad at times), is it that much different on the Ex?

I guess maybe try to find Ranger springs from a Supercab 4x4 truck with an approx ~5000lb GVWR rating then, these would be the stiffest ones (sorry, don't know the spring code offhand, but the same label on the door jamb will have the GVWR info).

Back