4 LOW engagement problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 LOW engagement problem.

ExplorerXLT21

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
So, i have a 98 explorer and the 4wd low won't engage, i have tried putting the truck in neutral and it still wont engage nothing will work to put it in 4low, my 4high works, it is only the four low that won't engage.
any suggestions to fixing my problem, or things to do to trouble shoot would be great!
thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

So, i have a 98 explorer and the 4wd low won't engage, i have tried putting the truck in neutral and it still wont engage nothing will work to put it in 4low, my 4high works, it is only the four low that won't engage.
any suggestions to fixing my problem, or things to do to trouble shoot would be great!
thanks.
I am having the same problem with my 94 and I can't find any information anywhere. I noticed your post was moved by the moderator but I haven't been able to find it. Were you able to get your fixed and if so what was the solution? Thank you.

remove the shift motor from the t case
put truck in N not running
Try to shift the t case into low using pliers
does it go?

If so the issue is likely your shift motor

remove the shift motor from the t case
put truck in N not running
Try to shift the t case into low using pliers
does it go?

If so the issue is likely your shift motor
I have indeed checked my t case in this way and it goes into 4lo just fine with pliers. I've also checked the shift motor by putting power to the orange and yellow wires. Positive to one or the other to turn one way then switch positive and negative for opposite rotation and it runs fine in both directions. The rubber bump stop is in good condition also. Ive also replaced the magnetic sensor that is located above the shift motor on the t case and got no change in behavior. I've changed the switch in the dash and got no change in behavior. What are the odds my problem is within the shift controller itself?

the shift controller in 98 model is the GEM module
It is possible the gem module is not getting the signals it needs to allow the low range shift. It needs to see Neutral from the transmission range sensor, and also looks to see the truck is not moving too fast (like over 4 mph I think it is) from the rear axle speed sensor/abs module.
We can check those signals at the gem, but first
Just to confirm:
truck stopped, foot on brake, in N and it wont shift to low

The armature assembly on the shift motor is adjustable, there are hash marks. You may try loosening up the 3 small screws and turn the assembly slightly one way try to shift, then move slightly the other way, try to shift.

FYI 99.9% of the time these issues are the shift motor itself, the armature gets turned too far one way or the other, contact is lost and you get no low range.
Rebuild of the shift motor works half the time, the other half it needs slight adjustment after rebuild
You may also disconnect your battery for a few minutes, try again with the new "refreshed" shift motor

Back