4 low light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 low light flashing

chrisdoell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
ok guys maybe someone will have a solution for my problem. what i got is a 92 xlt with a complete auto to manual swap from a 91. i transfered everything including the wiring harness. 4 high works great no problems with it but when i hit 4 low all it does is flash. i changed the drive motor on the transfer case and the controller and no luck. any ideas?

I've got an automatic, but from what I've heard around the grapevine you need to be sitting at a stop in neutral for a while with a manual transmission before the transfer case will let you engage 4lo. If you had a manual transfer case you could just pop it in and go. I've never experienced the 'flashing 4lo light' problem myself, but I'm thinking that could be it. Try sitting there at a dead stop, foot on the brakes, foot on the clutch, in neutral, and put her in 4lo. You may have to sit for a bit before you can push the button and have it engage, like I said.

i tried what you suggested and still didn't work. anyone have the wiring schematics for the 4WD? maybe its a wire somewhere.

Back