4 pin to 7 pin adapters. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 pin to 7 pin adapters.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 and bought a trailer with the 7 pin connector. The Explorer has a Class II hitch with the 4 pin. I bought a 4 pin to 7 and 4 pin adapter. I cannot figure out how to install the other wires. I know where each wire goes to but am not sure how to install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you bought a trailer with a 7 pin connector and are going to tow this on more than a few occasions, why not add the 7 pin outlet to the back of your truck and wire it up?

Your trailer plug is 7 pin rv plug. You cannot just "connect" it to a 4 pin.
4 Pin is the following: Ground, Tail, Left Turn/Brake, Right Turn/Brake
7 Pin is: Gnd, Pos (+12v), LT, RT, Tail, Trailer Brake, Back up

You will need to wire in a 7 pin plug unlessyour traler does not have backup lights, then you can convert them both to 5 pin round. Also you will need an electric brake controller.

Where can I get a 7 pin wiring harness for my 2005 Explorer?

Check out rental places like U-haul, Ryder and the like. Maybe even Sears. Most rental type places would have it, trailer retail stores, truck accessory places.

Depending the weight of the trailer a class two can on hold tongue of 350 and total pulling weight of 3500lbs. I would look at putting a class III on your truck especially if you are going tow often.

I have that exact same custom trailer connection setup. I had it made so I could pull my friends trailer and ended up not using it. I will sell you mine if you want it never been used.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Back