4 Rancho 9000 or 2 Edelbrock IAS?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 Rancho 9000 or 2 Edelbrock IAS??

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi,
Around Christmas I put on 4 gabriel VST shocks at Pep Boys and I'm not impressed at all.

I have a 1.5" TT/Shackle lift with some larger tires.

I want to replace these Gabriels because I love my explorer but I am at the point where I hate driving it because I bounce so much. (Yes I know its an suv)
I had a '94 sport and it was not NEARLY this bad.

So I'm just going to splurge and buy some new REAL shocks.

I ABSOLUTLEY NEVER offroad. Strictly street explorer.

I hear the Edelbrocks are really good for street explorers and the ranchos are more for offroading.

I can get 4 rancho 9000 for $230 total or get 2 Edelbrocks for about $175 total.

If I got the 2 Edelbrocks I'd just leave 2 of the Gabriels on there.

Which seems like a better plan?

Any other ideas or information is welcomed! I'm desperate!!

Thanks,
Grantp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting info you're giving us.

You can honestly say that your replacement shocks made your truck bounce more than the stock ones? That's unheard of.

No not saying that at all.

The Gabriels just didn't seem to help the bouncing AT ALL. Everyone said that the stock shocks are terrible and that upgrading would make a decent difference but the ride is the exact same as before.

I'm thinking maybe that since I have the little lift that it stretched them too far?

Grant

Are your tires inflated to the proper pressure?

Jason- Thanks for asking that..thats another questions I ment to ask...

What pressure should I put these on?? I have no idea but I'm guessing they aren't on it.

Yea I kinda considered Bilsteins. I know they are expensive. Who sells them on the web?

Thanks,
Grant

Well start out by checking what pressure they're at right now.......if they're overinflated it will cause a bounce. They should be about 30 PSI.

I cant find my little tire pressure reader so I'll have to do it tomorow. Thanks for the info though.

To the shocks,

Is having two different sets a bad idea?

Yeah your shocks should always be matched together, don't mix them.

the 9000 at the stiffest setting would be your best bet if you want it to ride like a rock

Whats it mean to "ride like a rock" ? Like will you feel less bumps and such?

Hey, Grant. I'm not sure if you read my reply to your post on my thread before (heww, not sure if you can follow that), but I listed www.truckperformance.com as a vendor that sells the shocks for pretty good prices. And if you're wondering about the repuation for truckperformance.com, rvitek was kind enough to find a thread on them at Dead Link Removed It looks like I'm going to give those guys a call on Tuesday. Bye.

Back