4 Runner vs. Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 Runner vs. Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno bout ya'll but I love my explorer. My dad got is from his company for 2,000 (Basically gave it to us). It had 115,00 on it, and I have been beating it to hell for two years straight. Now with 147,00 it still gets me from "A" to "C" because I stop a "B" for the mudholes.

He likes the toyota until it's time to gas up!! But if the newer x's dont get better gas milage the sport might be my last!! Do the 4 doors get better mpg then 2?

Well, you might consider an Escape. They look a bit like the 2nd gen Explorer's and the gas mileage is better, but not a lot better, maybe 4 mpg. The Escape is only slightly smaller than the 2dr Explorer Sport. Some Escapes have had auto trans problems, though.

I would like to see the Explorer restyled to get rid of the minivan-looking rear.

There's the Nissan Xterra, which looks like a real truck, but the engine is a 3.5 L and the gas mileage actually looks worse or about the same as an Explorer.

If I were going for the best gas mileage and still have a vehicle that is called an SUV, I would have to consider the Subaru Forester or Outback.

By the time I'm ready to replace my Ex, perhaps there will be a vehicle to may liking. When I first saw an Explorer, I knew that it was the type of vehicle I wanted. I don't feel that way about anything else on the market right now, including the current Ex design.

Bob

TSteer02 said:
Dunno bout ya'll but I love my explorer. My dad got is from his company for 2,000 (Basically gave it to us). It had 115,00 on it, and I have been beating it to hell for two years straight. Now with 147,00 it still gets me from "A" to "C" because I stop a "B" for the mudholes.

Right, Tsteer. Mine is a 92 with 173,000 miles on it. I've never owned a vehicle this long or with this much mileage. I look at new Explorers and other SUV's, but I really wouldn't want to part with the old "Silver Goose".

Bob

jimabena74 said:
the 4runners v8s are very nice..... the toyota with trd also has an e-locker for the rear... ti is only suppsoed to be able to be activated in 4x4 low, however, smart savy people have doen what is equivalent to fords brown or grey wire mod and made it a standard locker
like me on my tacoma...

I have a 94 xlt and i love it and could never sell it and probably never junk it but its cost me over the price of the car when it was bought new for $27,000 now that is what i would say is ridiculous and i do my routine matenice ,oil change every 3k, tranny fluid,filter every year,brakes are one of my bigger issues they never last me more then 7 months and id say every 2 years the rotors have heat cracks in them and i have to replace them but yet they arent scortched? i have had my transmission changed for new 2 times (diffrent shops) and rebuilt 3 times( diffrent shops) no one can seem to get it right so if it goes again i might do a swap for a gm tranny, just replaced basically my entire a/c system and now i have a gas smell? now as much as i love it i dont think i would buy another one unless the price was ridiculously low they offerd me a 2004 xlt every option with some nice after market (dealer add on) rims for 26,000 but i just couldnt bring my self to do it

Periods, we need to get this man some periods! Sheesh...

Seriously though, the truck has cost you over $27,000 in repairs? I find that more than a little hard to believe...

Stephen said:
Periods, we need to get this man some periods! Sheesh...
For sure.
Seriously though, the truck has cost you over $27,000 in repairs? I find that more than a little hard to believe...
Ha, $27k in repairs. How many new 4.0's did you have swapped in?

I'd believe $27,000 in repairs if it were a Ferrari, but not an Explorer. I think you could replace every mechanical component on the car twice and not have it cost $27,000. Mine's had a lot of work done to it, transmission, transfer case, several A/C compressors, brakes often, rotors, I believe the power steering pump once or twice, ball joints, CD changers, rear audio controls twice, ABS Sensors, and its cost me maybe $10k over its entire life. I just don't buy it, transmission is maybe $2500 if you over pay, even to replace the 4.0 motor (which is really solid) would cost what, $1500 installed a reman. unit? I paid close to $800 each time for the A/C compressor job, ABS sensors were just over $1000. You'd have to replace a lot of components to run up a $27,000 repair bill on a Ford with relatively inexpensive parts and labor.

I'd believe $27,000 in repairs if it were a Ferrari, but not an Explorer.
Amen brother! i find it really hard to believe that a ford explorer could rack up $27000 worth of repair it is absolutely ridiculous i have had my explorer and have had it well maintained without putting any more than $250 with all regular maintenance set aside my explorer has been nothing but solid and highly reliable I just find it so hard to believe that someone could spend that much money

Geez, it's actually kind of tough to write without any form of punctuation. :D

i have reciepts sadly i wish it were untrue i have had 5 transmissions, atleast 5 sets of rotors and 3 sets of drums, calipers twice, master cylinder steering wheel(anger problems), radiator 2 times,all a/c components condensor twice,
atuo hubs went changed to manual hubs, many many wheel bearings , 5 sets of tires, 2 sets of plugs and wires, maf,5 batterys,3 altenators, various electrical shorts,shocks, exhaust,grille,grille guard, headlight housing, new fender, 2 paint jobs @ 2000 each (down side to living in NYC car gets dinged and scatched daily,new e brake cables, new fan, fan clutch,water pump, brake light , new ignition(someone tried to actually steal it) for what reason i dont know, 2 radios, new door pull handle (drivers side) ,bushings, ball joints, and a lot of other repeditive stuff like the gas guage, and fuel sending unit....... so sadly if its not exactly 27 its is very close :thumbdwn:

I dont like to use punctuation unless im writing a letter or a paper for school.
Or someone says something about it, then I will use correct punctuation.

So I take it you have trouble taking care of your X and go to shops that do shotty work? Even $10k in repairs make sme say, sir, you're crazy!

Lol talk to my father on that one he will not let me bring it to any where else for regular work and since he pays the bills I can't argue. As for the transmission's I have had them done by Ford (2 new) and 3 rebuild one was Lee Myles, and 2 are independant shops in my area. The brakes I am hard on I admit. The master cylinder blew after I slammed on my brakes to avoid killing a cat , my drums rusted out and the other stuff is from abuse. I've been driving for 4 years now and I have put well over 65k on the truck iI use it every day in New York City (very stop and go). I do admit to abusing this truck and driving it like its a slow sports car lol so i will take the blame for most of the cost and I guess I shouldnt put Ford down for its shape with the abuse I put it through.

9,100 just on transmissions so is 20+ all that hard to believe?

I dont like to use punctuation unless im writing a letter or a paper for school.

Ha! I was just kidding with ya'. ;) :p

lol its cool. :D

thewishkah said:
9,100 just on transmissions so is 20+ all that hard to believe?

Not if every time the truck goes in for the oil change the owner get suckered into something:

"But I just had my brakes done 5000 miles ago"
"Well sir, your caliper locked up, so now you need 2 calipers, 2 rotors, new pads. And since the front were in such bad shape you're rear brakes took the heat. The wheel cylinders blew. So you need new cylinders, shoes, and drums in the rear too."
"Ok, heres $3000"
"thank you sir.. seeya again in a few thousand miles ;) "

Seriously though, there is a time were you buy a new car after spending a certain amount on repairs.

Imho the 4Runners are great trucks but too expensive for the feature list. My dad looked at them when he was getting a new truck and for the 35k they asked for on a 4Runner with less features than my 96 XLT we could get a Limited Explorer fully loaded. Thats what he did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say I don't get ripped off i dont bring it in for oil changes unless im lazy.I do know when the problems are I dont tell him to fix anything unless I KNOW there is something wrong with it. If I bring it in for oil say and I dont feel there is anything else that needs to be done then it doesnt get done. But when my brakes just stop working or i have to push them to the floor then I know there is an issue, or if its over heating i check my thermostat I am very capable of doing alot of my own work sometimes its just easier to pay someone else to do it and if you can afford to and you dont feel like doing it then I say let them do it.

Back