4 Runner vs. Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 Runner vs. Explorer

As for buying a New car I have a 2002 yukon slt which is in great shape I just ABUSE the sh*t out of the explorer and I drive it very hard in stop and go traffic so its expected to fall apart. Where as my yukon bought new in 2002 only has 13k on it and hasnt had one issue yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$9100 for 5 A4LD transmissions? Seriously got taken. Should have shopped that one.

Also you're including $4000 worth of paintwork there that doesn't count, thats your own fault. We're discussing repair costs due to failures. Tires aren't made by Ford, they don't count, You also admit to treating the car improperly body work and grille guards, they don't count. So basically you're not looking at total costs for failures, you're even including mods in that! That number is totally meaningless.

The ~10k figure on my truck is 100% failures and not even taking into account some things I felt should have been replaced at certain intervals. The truck has always been serviced and driven properly. I've even had second opinions done on some of the work, legitimate.

so at what point do u say toss the truck (the x) and start to look for a new ride, toyota, ford, chevy. My jumping off point is around 2-3k,, Any more then that i'm ready to put the car in South East dc and leave the keys in it!

Well it depends on a lot of factors. What kind of condition is the vehicle in? How much does it get driven, whats the relative cost of ownership vs a new one with payments, was it bought new etc?

For me its either when I get bored, it starts costing more than a new one, or when it stops being reliable. A new Explorer Limited costs what, $38,000? Thats a payment of at least $500 a month depending on whatever the average finance term is nowadays. A lot of factors go into it. I would have kept my old 98 Lexus with 160,000 miles on it. It started to cost some for repairs, struts, ball joints etc but nothing unforseen, it still looked good and drove great, much cheaper to keep the old one than pay the $1000 a month payment on a new one and I was still happy with it, but my company does my car and they were getting uncomfortable paying for the repairs. Everyone has a different "time".

See thats kind of my problem I dont really have a choice im 20 yrs old living in nyc if i were to buy a new car my insurance would be range from 4000-15,000 depending on the car and thats with a clean record never got a ticket other then parking tickets, never had and reported accidents not to mention the car payments would be from 300+ a month , now for getting taken in NYC the avg cost of the rebuild for the a4ld is 1700 i did shop around went to 15 diff shops and that was the avg price there was a place cheaper but i didnt trust the shop with my car it looked like it was run out of someones home garage so i skipped past that one.

right but im talking about a new car in NYC full coverage for 20 yr old male avg is 6k and im paying 4k for my truck now and with a new car u need full coverage and as for car payment yeah i could get under 300 a month but it wouldnt be anything i would want to drive for example kia, hyundai etc.. and as for cheaper to maintain my insurance company has no idea how much i spend on repairs as far as they know the truck has never left me stranded

You'd rather drive something thats been through 5 transmissions than a brand new Hyundai thats not going to cost you anything in repairs? I don't get that. If you've spent $10,000 on transmissions then whats another 2k on insurance? Just makes no sense.

but im not as safe in a hundai and i hate sitting low to the floor unless its a mustang gt lol but i love the truck and like i said i have the yukon aswell but i dont want to put to much mileage on it if i ever get the $$ to make it a show truck where as my explorer i love to use and abuse and sometimes it breaks but i still would rather pay to repair it then replace it with a plastic car such as hundai or saturn or something like that ( i love how saturn brags about the dent resistent panel have u ever seen one in a 10 mph crash? they just crack up lol )

For me it was totally price. I could be a loaded XLT sport for less than a used 2003/4 4-runner. 6000 cash back plus 3500 off for X-plan price. I would NEVER pay 34000 for any ford. But 24000 is a different story.

I will NEVER buy another Toyota! I have a 1995 4runner w/96000 miles and a 1991 Explorer w/148000 miles. Toyota has had MANY major engine design problems since the '90's. They did a recall on the 4runner 3.0 head gaskets and revised them many times before they finally dropped the engine! Mine was made 1 month after the recall date ended and they would not cover it when the gaskets failed at 80000 miles! When it was repaired the block was also trash and I had to replace it too! Later model Toyotas are having major engine sludge problems and engine failure due to sludge and Toyota is blaming all the owners for lack of service! No major issues with the Explorer so far!

Please research the Toyota problems before you buy! Toyota is not the customer oriented, reliable company it was in the past when it could get higher prices for it's products! The company and the vehicle just don't live up to their past reputation anymore!

Thank you for that info, Bronco71. Yes, I look at other makes and models, but the vehicle that best meets my needs and that I still love is my old 92 Explorer. Keeping it in good running order has become my number 1 hobby, but everyone needs a hobby. Besides, I wouldn't want to leave this great community, the Explorer Forum.

Bob

Girlfriend's parents bought an '04 Sequoia Limited. I got to ride in it, and was not impressed with it. Toyota is charging huge amounts of money for vehicles that really aren't that great. The rear window motor has gone out, the engine is ticking, and the electrical system (Interior lighting) is iffy. It does not show me "Toyota quality". Gas mileage is also a joke, but I guess gas is always bad for those big vehicles.

My gf's 87 landcruiser barely has 200K miles and the motor is on its last legs. Also, they just spent $2500 REBUILDING (!!!!) the gears in her manual transmission. My family has owned three Ford manuals, all of which passed 200K, and none of them had to have the gears redone. $2500??!?!?!? That was even the cheapest quote. Crazy.

I had a Sequoia for almost 100,000 miles and never had a problem. Nice high quality interior, nice ride, plenty of space, good power for something so big. Really pleased with it. Would have kept it if it weren't too big for my needs.

The main problem with modern Toyotas is that they're made in the US now.

The main problem with modern Toyotas is that they're made in the US now.
:rolleyes:
I don't even know what to say to that comment.

C'mon, if you think our manufacturing plants have the kind of tolerances and quality control they do in Japan you're fooling yourself. By our very nature as a culture we're not capable building a product like the Japanese have built them. To them the name of the game is saving face, if they let a dashboard go out crooked they have shamed themselves, their family, and their entire country its to that level of importance. If you look at the consumer and dependability ratings of various Japanese vehicles you'll see a sharp drop the year they moved production to the US. Why do you think Toyota still makes all Lexus vehicles in Japan? They refuse to move production here. They just opened up a production plant in Canada for the RX330 SUV but they refused to open it here. Why? Because cars just plain don't get built as well in the US.

Its nothing against the American worker, I have the greatest respect for them and work alongside them everyday. Manufacturing is simply no longer our claim to fame and it hasn't been for a lot of years. Skirting around that fact and pretending its not the case doesn't do anyone any good. Our own Republican President has said as much. What do you think "Jobs of the 21st Century" means? Do you think in the 21st century he thinks Americans are going to be building cars? If other countries aren't going to do it, robots will. Why do you think he keeps allowing all these manufacturing jobs to go overseas? Because he knows that America's future isn't building cars or sewing pants and he has a point. You're voting for him for president and he feels just like I feel.

Its nothing against the American worker, I have the greatest respect for them and work alongside them everyday. Manufacturing is simply no longer our claim to fame and it hasn't been for a lot of years. Skirting around that fact and pretending its not the case doesn't do anyone any good. Our own Republican President has said as much. What do you think "Jobs of the 21st Century" means? Do you think in the 21st century he thinks Americans are going to be building cars? If other countries aren't going to do it, robots will. Why do you think he keeps allowing all these manufacturing jobs to go overseas? Because he knows that America's future isn't building cars or sewing pants and he has a point. You're voting for him for president and he feels just like I feel.
For one thing, let's not turn this into a political discussion as it is not one. Bush was simply stating that education is the key to our economical growth and the expansion of 21st century jobs, he did not state that we were poor at manufacturing. You took that out of context.
Secondly, to say that we are poor at manufacturing is an ignorant belief. Does Lexus produe in Japan? I'm sure, I don't have a desire to own one so I haven't researched that topic. To say, however, that the Japanese build upon much tighter and more stringent tolerances is a belief I have learned to be false. Stephen, why are you badmouthing the product this entire forum is built upon? If you think American products are sooooo inferior, then why just sit here on this forum and attack individuals that state their pride in the product that is of the primary focus?
My gf's toyota is also a 87 and was built in Japan, explain the problems with that vehicle despite its immaculate maintenance?
I don't want to turn this into a "fight and flight" forum, but I found your statement surely disconcerting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The mentality of the American worker is not that of the Japanese. American factory workers are lazy. One of the reasons why Japan goes to other countries is to avoid the auto unions. I have seen first hand the build quality of a '95 Camry versus a 2002, and the '95 wins hands down. I believe in 1995, it was still built in Japan. There was an article in the newspaper recently about Toyota's quality dropping, and the President over in Japan is furious, because the quality is dropping from the American plants, not the Japanese ones.

Yes, I do believe Stephen now. I used to not, but the late model Japanese vehicles I have driven aren't that solid, but then I realized that all of them are American-Built (Maxima, Camry, Altima). My Explorer has been a great truck, but some people have problems, and that means that quality control is lacking big time.

Back