4 Spd Auto converted to a 5 or 6 spd manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 Spd Auto converted to a 5 or 6 spd manual

I would like to hear from anyone who has converted an automatic tranny to a 5 or 6 spd manual.

There are too many auto trannys on the road not to consider them. Sooo before I take the leap (I've owned manual 4x4's since 1980) and turn in my 94 Mazda 4x4 POS with a newer Explorer (which I hope to convert into a tasty all-around off-roader) I'd hate to give up all those hard-luck learned clutch skills... A second part to this question, do you guy feel that a auto tranny stands up just as well as a manual everything else being equal.

:frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No such thing as a stock 6-speed for an Explorer/Ranger/Navajo.

The stock Mazda 5-speed manual transmission will last you longer than the A4LD POS you have now.

It all depends on what you want though.

If OD is not a concern, look for a C5 from 84 and 85 Rangers and Bronco IIs. It will bolt up, has the same internals as a C4, but like a C4 it is a 3 speed.

Advance Adapters sells a World Class T-5 manual that will bolt to the 4.0L as well.

Swapping to a manual from an Auto isn't difficult. It is a matter of tracking down the right parts and getting everything organized.

You will need (in no particular order):

Manual transmission
Flywheel
Clutch Components (Clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool)
Slave cylinder (new slaves come with throwout bearings on them)
Clutch/Bracke pedal assembly
Clutch master cylinder and reservoir
Clutch master cylinder to slave cylinder hydraulic hose
Then it is just some minor wiring (reverse lights, wiring out the Neutral Safety Switch, and wiring up the Low Range ByPass if you have an electric t-case)

That's it really. I've done it and it's not that hard. Just have to get everything together.

Or like me... I've got a T-5.. behind my swapped 302, and I modded a Mustang clutch pedal assembly... Not exactally the best, once I got it all in... I'm probly gonna be back moddin it some more... But I wasn't too sure about how the clutch pull would be, and I didn't want to do the hydralic lines... Tho now, it may have been a better route from the beginning...
Pete

Thank you both. I just wanted to get a feel for if it was possible and what it would take. Now I can go ahead and buy an auto and if I hate it as much as I think I will I will start the conversion. Thanks a lot CoryL for the outline of items. I used to do all my own clutch and tranny work before they added a computer behind everything. I'll look into the T-5 first as my first stop.

Seems like time to start on my 4th rig.

One more note... Make sure you get the T-5 World Class Don't get a regular T-5
Pete

One question, What parts do you need from the Mazda tranny and what do you need for the T-5 ie flex-plate, flywheel, etc. I have tried to get this info for the last 3 weeks but no one seems to know the answer, i wish some one would post a detailed walk through in the explorer projects forum, it sure would be a HUGE help

Originally posted by Hotweels
One question, What parts do you need from the Mazda tranny and what do you need for the T-5 ie flex-plate, flywheel, etc. I have tried to get this info for the last 3 weeks but no one seems to know the answer, i wish some one would post a detailed walk through in the explorer projects forum, it sure would be a HUGE help

Call Advance Adapters and ask them. They will know. http://www.advanceadapters.com is their website.

Just so you know. Automatics use flexplates and manuals use flywheels.

If you'll look down in my sig, i just converted mine over in september. Cory pretty much listed all the parts, but i did list a couple more and did find a few problems, nothing major. I think the hardest part was putting in the petals, man that sucked!! Money, was another issue, but now that i've done it, i'm glad i did. It works good, and i love to have a 5 speed!!

Happy trails!!

Back