• Register Today It's free!

4" Suspension Lift Kit or ?

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi fellow Explorers, just need your opinion about this 4" Ford Suspension Lift Kit...
I am planning to get more lift out of my Ford Explorer 1997 XLT V6 SOHC, done almost everything from suspension lift and body lift but I am worried about my front CV axle being stretched and possible it may break because of the angle...
So I am thinking to get this SUPER LIFT KIT 4" that it will drop my front diff and gonna be less stress on the torsion bar and CV axles and this project will cost me including delivery around $2000...

Just need to know if there's another alternative that will help my drive line less stress or is it any way I could just replace the front end into solid axle with coil spring for better flex too but how much would that cost or it gonna be way too much for the price too...

please help, I need your opinion and expertise... thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why more lift with 3" body and 2" suspintion you will be fine and can run 35's. Plus you don't want to run bigger than 35's on the stock front axle, if your wanting bigger tires an SAS would be recomended .

Why more lift with 3" body and 2" suspintion you will be fine and can run 35's. Plus you don't want to run bigger than 35's on the stock front axle, if your wanting bigger tires an SAS would be recomended .

thanks for the reply, the height it not my issue and my main concern is the C.V axle has too much on the angle and just worried it may break one day while goin off roading...
That will give too much stress and maybe one day it will just break off, Im thinking to get the super lift kit and that kit includes new bracket to make your front diff lower to level the CV axles but then it gives you extra 4 inch without stress on your torsion bar and CV axles...

trying to work out if replacing the whole front end into solid axle is cheaper but yeah its stronger and more flex...

I need to search who done this solid axle and how hard and how expensive it is to convert it... (still searching.....)

You can lower the axle slightly maybe an inch with spacers and extending mounting brackets.

i did the Superlift, with tt and shackles,, and it worked great , regeared to 410 from 373 and ran 35's with some trimming,,

but,,

if i was going to do the whole thing over again, it would go like this,,

3 inch body lift,partial tt and shackles,
costs a whole lot less to get the same thing,,
4 inches of lift,

doing the tt is not hard on the cv's till you get past a certain point,, and stock suspension will not allow it anyways, the tt just sets the starting point in the suspension cycle at a different spot,, and takes away some of the droop you have ,,

yes you can space the diff mounts down some, but it is a very time consuming process building the needed parts for minimal return,,

i did the Superlift, with tt and shackles,, and it worked great , regeared to 410 from 373 and ran 35's with some trimming,,

but,,

if i was going to do the whole thing over again, it would go like this,,

3 inch body lift,partial tt and shackles,
costs a whole lot less to get the same thing,,
4 inches of lift,

doing the tt is not hard on the cv's till you get past a certain point,, and stock suspension will not allow it anyways, the tt just sets the starting point in the suspension cycle at a different spot,, and takes away some of the droop you have ,,

yes you can space the diff mounts down some, but it is a very time consuming process building the needed parts for minimal return,,

thanks for the reply.. I have done the suspension lift and body lift and very happy with it but the only im worry about was the angle of the C.V Axle. just looking at it, it seems too much of an angle and Im worried if one day I go off roading and it may break..
some members says just bring a spare with is not a bad idea but I always want it to safe too for less worry...
Extension diff bracket sounds good and every inch helps, better than nothing...
Do you know where I can get these bracket..?

Simple math. How many CV axles can you buy for $2k? Are you really going to break that many?

Simple math. How many CV axles can you buy for $2k? Are you really going to break that many?

:thumbsup: but that's not my point, I need to be reliable and less hassle... I just don't want to think every time I go out off roading and thinking my CV axle will break and go through that hassle getting it tow or winch it out because its stuck causing of the CV axle...

I have checked If possible to get a Heavy Duty CV axle but it cost almost same price of the super lift kit

few member here says its should be okay and it can handle the beating but it is better if your front CV axle aligned for less stress on the drive line...

thanks mate! yeah I guess coil over shocks is good... did you say u spent around 10k? dayum! does it need welding or its all bolt on..?

Lots of welding and I had to fabricate the shock hoops. Took me six months of part time working on it until it was drivable. You can see the build thread by clicking on my Explorer line below.

Lots of welding and I had to fabricate the shock hoops. Took me six months of part time working on it until it was drivable. You can see the build thread by clicking on my Explorer line below.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: woah! its a beast! nice one mate!

love that set up and yeah I can see the 10k there...

its a big project!

thank mate!

Back