izackary

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Mazdaspeed6 GT
QUICK VERSION HERE.

Well, I've noticed (along with all the trail rig vs sport truck bickering) that plans are in the works for a Six Flags trip in New Jersey on the weekend of July 31st and August 1st. For those who have no interest in going out to the armpit of the northeast (no offense, Nick :D), there is the 10th Anniversary Bond Auto Parts 4-Wheel Jamboree in Essex Junction, Vermont. It seems to me that only a few of us have really been up there with wheeling in mind, and it's been mostly residents, whether native (myself and FordExplorer157) or college students (Outrun84 and formerly Rx4phun, though he still visits). I'm not scheduling any wheeling myself on this weekend since it's a 2-day event and I know of no trails on the way to the grounds. My plan is to carpool either in a friend's Mark VIII or in mom's Altima. If anyone else wishes to wheel seperately have a great time, but I'm going just for the show.

Anyways, the site is here and with a little surfing, you can find ticket info and event schedules. There will be monster truck racing, mud drag racing, a burnout contest, and many many show trucks on display. I've also seen pictures of the Jamboree in South Carolina of 4x4 acrobatics (looked like rolling off of, and then onto, all 4 wheels) and other truck obstacle courses. Tickets are available online here if you scroll to the bottom of "July." $12 a day for adults and teens (ages 13+...2-day passes are $24) and $5 a day for kids ages 3-12. Little guys 2 and under are free.

As for a dedicated wheeling trip in Vermont seperate from the Jambo trip, I'm looking into a wheeling/camping trip in the Killington/Bridgewater/Barnard/Stockbridge area at a later weekend. Camping would be at a privately owned cabin on top of a hill called "The Lookout." I've camped there before with my dad, and from what I know so far, the owners leave it open for Long Trail hikers but appreciate anyone who has planned to camp there to let them know they will be using the place. There's plenty of room to fit probably a dozen sleeping bags and there's also a lookout on the roof and a great view over much of the Ottauquechee valley. I last camped up there nearly 2 years ago, and when I was there, the building was not new, but it IS kept in nice, safe condition and most users clean up after themselves. (That WILL include us as well! Fred, if your buddies come, no dumping leaf springs. :p) Actually though, the trails can be challenging in some areas and easy in others, kinda like Brookline, but it is mostly much narrower. I suggest anyone who wants to come pick up a copy of DeLorme's Vermont Atlas and Gazeteer. It will be very handy since Vermont has done a great job in the past several years of putting signs on almost every little road. Even some of these trails (classified as "Class 4 public highways" I believe) have road signs so navigation should be simple with this indispensible map. And since these ARE classified as public byways, there should be no legal precident against traveling on them. I've seen roads that are posted "Road Closed to Motor Vehicles Dec 15 - May 15." All that tells me is that from May 16 - Dec 14, it's fair game. Unlike Mass. :fire:

Anyways, I'll try and keep everyone here who is interested posted as I get more details. There's really more to Vermont than skiing, fall foliage, Doug's winter photos, and (the world's best) maple syrup, I promise. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to keep these dates free, the Jamboree sounds like it would be a lot of fun to attend. Carpooling of some sort would also be neat - we could all pitch in for gas, as Essex Junction is a solid 230 miles northwest of Boston and there's no sense in driving up lifted trucks with only one or two people in each one.

However - camping and wheeling would be AWESOME!! (And totally worth driving sperate). If we can get a small group together and work out the details, maybe combine the Jamboree with 1 or 2 days of wheeling, I would be totally up for a trip in a heartbeat.

As Isaac said, we could also do two seperate trips, since wheeling/camping would be a good two-day (read: weekend) affair. Either way, I'm game.

:bounce:

Izack, sure... I'm in for some hardcore wheeling, you know me! :p VT is a lot closer than Jersey and a lot more do-able...

The kid you met at my house the other day (the Tufts lineman) wants to come so I'll probably drive up, and we'd camp the weekend up there.

Scormunch said:
Izack, sure... I'm in for some hardcore wheeling, you know me! :p VT is a lot closer than Jersey and a lot more do-able...

The kid you met at my house the other day (the Tufts lineman) wants to come so I'll probably drive up, and we'd camp the weekend up there.

We don't HAVE to camp out for the Jambo. Plus, like Aaron said, it's 230 miles from Boston to Essex. So far I'm considering a carpool and a hotel room or two. Let me know if you have any other input. :)

depending on whats going on, i may be in for the wheeling/camping...keep us posted and ill let you know

Fordexplorer157 said:
I am interested

I'd hope so since you live there! :D

im buying a mounty tomorrow, so ill be back behind the wheel of a 4x4 ploder again. brookline run in the near future is a must. i dont even have the title yet, and ive already got my shackles sitting in my garage ;) . ill start a seperate thread on that tho.

oh, and im down for the wheeling weekend, if you can let us know when it is happening zack. this is your run, so plan it right, unlike all of those runs that i plan that usually go terribly wrong.

Fred, Congrats on the Mountaineer!

What year? Is it a V8? :smoke:

Ike, I am gonna talk to my parents. I can possible get you and one of your friends to spend the night at my parents with me

ok cool. it might be 2 of my friends and not me...i'm thinking of going down to my gf's house to sleep over if i have my own car up there to use, which is a ways down south (near Vershire). Since most of you know she's almost 17 and living with her folks under their rules, so we'll see how it goes. I doubt she'll be allowed to spend the night up there with you guys, but I want to get her to the show anyways. we'll figure it out.

I WANNA GO TO THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!! my parental units are so like, wont let me do jack..i can spend the night at ANY girls i feel like, but i cant stay out till 1 am with ike...and i doubt they will let me come to spend the night..but i'm gonna ask my parental units and see if i can..the worst they can do is say no and ground me for asking such a "absurd" question..lol...but i wanna go to the show soooo bad.. :bounce:

anyone seen that Xploder38 chick around? she's a hottie!! :cool:

Ike you have to stay at my parents place. I do not want 2 strangers

Fordexplorer157 said:
Ike you have to stay at my parents place. I do not want 2 strangers

for anyone who's not sure, so far Kita won't be staying the night in Essex. Tim, are you coming to the Jambo? So far I have myself, Aaron, and possibly my friend Eric coming up.

For everyone that will be attending. I plan on trying to get as many people as I can to all go out to dinner. We have alot of good places to go. Resturant 99, Chiles, Fridays, KFC and all the Fast Food Resurants you can think of. Plus I plan on doing a group photo!

im definitely up for that and then I could head to burlington to see a few friends. Count me in on the camping trip. I dont know about the jeep jamboree though

izackary said:
for anyone who's not sure, so far Kita won't be staying the night in Essex. Tim, are you coming to the Jambo? So far I have myself, Aaron, and possibly my friend Eric coming up.

Yep I'm coming up. I'm putting in for the weekend off when I go into work tomorrow so then it'll be final that I'm going. :chug:

iZack... package store... all you need to know ;)

So yeah, I'm booking a room at Super 8 in Burlington for the night of the 31st. I got a quote of 81.50 per night so whoever wants to bunk, (there are two doubles) I'll bring some inflatable mattresses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so now we have Myself, Maykita, Tim, Tim's friend, Matt, my bud Eric, and Aaron. Who wants to cram into a hotel room? :D

EDIT: We also need to know ASAP who's coming for sure once we start booking the hotel room(s).

Back