• Register Today It's free!

#40 PTEC Power fuse blowing

Darthfader

Reaction score
City, State
Smithfield, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
The power distribution box #40 15A PTEC Power fuse blows as soon as I try to start my son's V6 2002 Explorer. We've tried replacing it but the replacement blows as well. I can't find any information on what PTEC Power is or what could be causing it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Update: If I leave the fuse out the engine starts and runs fine. What purpose does the PTEC power fuse serve? What are the dangers of driving the vehicle without the fuse in place?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem in my 2003 explorer the only different is that it is fuse 41. vehicle won't crank

F1.40 runs the powertrain control module and the mass air flow sensor, on violet wires.
F1.41 runs the spark coils on white with light blue wires.

After i did a complete check to all the connection, I found an oxygen sensor that has melted when it made contact with the exhaust. That was creating all the problem. I fix it, replace the fuse and the cluster went back to normal. Tomorrow I am going to flash the key to seeing if that deactivate the alarm. Will keep posted

Back