400 M into a 1991 Explorer Feeler Thread! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

400 M into a 1991 Explorer Feeler Thread!

Ok guys the plans are in the works to do some major mods to my LimeGreen Monster.

This will be the first thing i do after getting back from Tellico 08. I want to have my ducks in line so this summer the motor can get the go over and the tranny re built to.

I need to get some good thinking brains going on this before i start this swap.

#1 I have a 400M Big Block that would be a nice replacement after i go thought the motor. I have the C6 and np205 comb to go with it. Im not even sure it will fit between the fenders of the explorer. Help me out here.

#2 Can you go propane injection on a 400 BB and have the power you will have from gas? I dont know much about the propane deals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and duhhh 410 got the 5.0 in the bII so i know i can get this 400 in the explorer

Yea u can get the 351M in there but don't expect much room to be left over after doing so since you're probably gonna have to run the headers out through the fenderwells.

Might have to lose the heater and have to relocate/lose other stuff to make it fit in the tight azz Engine bay.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

From what Ive read a Similar propane setup to a gas setup will have less power. Propane has less energy to give in combustion so you get less power.

See this is good. If it is not worth the swap ill got with something that is fuel injected.

Not sure how you feel about vehicle brands, I could personally care less who makes what as long as it works. But the Chevy 5.3 and Chevy 6.0 out of early Chevy 1500/2500's is a great motor. the 5.3 Can be had for pretty cheap, (around 600 with relatively low mileage.) The 6.0 can be had for about 1000-1500. If you check out the Chevy buggy motor thread on pirate, (ill try and get a link) theres a couple shops that can reprogram the computers on both for some very nice power gains and they can also modifiy the wiring harnesses to work in just about anything. Since the 5.3 and 6.0 are part of the LS series motor, they are the same size as a regular chevy 350, so they are quite small for V8's.

I have been told-
since a 351 Cleveland and 400 M are essentially the same --in theory

the motor mounts and trans bolt pattern is the same as SB ford.

Let's do this!!!!

Lets do it. I think that the 351 and 400 are the same to. I know what you mean there.

How did you do you motor mounts jon

Lets do it. I think that the 351 and 400 are the same to. I know what you mean there.

How did you do you motor mounts jon

I took em off my other block--
my 347 is a 5.0 block.

However-a 4r70w "should" bolt up behind a cleveland or "M" engine.

Let's think here--for just a minute.

I had a 71 cougar-which was a the same as a mustang that year-
it was available with---302 windsor-351 windsor-351 cleveland 2v and 4v, and 429

So--this tells me quite a bit---

FYI, I own a bunch of 351 Cleveland and 400 parts.

The 400 Ford is a small block, it shares most dimensions with small blocks, virtually nothing with big blocks. Thus it is a small block, the same goes for a Cleveland. The 400 had one part of one year when it came with a bell housing pattern of a small block. I doubt that you will find those. So basically it takes a big block patterned trans.

The deck height of a 400 is over 10", around 10.2" so the exhaust manifolds will be extremely close to the fenders and AC box. I doubt that it would work. The heads are Cleveland heads, basically an identical head to the 351C 2V. I have two sets of 351C 4V heads, and one of the 2V heads. The engine mounts are unique but easy to get, they might very well bolt into the frame like other small blocks.
The engine length is identical to all small blocks, they take the same 4.0" pistons, lifters, Cleveland cams, timing chains, balancer. The timing cover is bigger, as is the intake.

I know the idea sounds good, but given the tall height/size, the 351W is a far better choice. I'd love to build and sell my 400 as planned and sell it. I have special intake plates to bolt on 351C 4V heads and a 351C Torker intake. I was doing it for my 73 Ranchero.

Do a 351 Windsor if you want the cubic inches. You can buy a stroker short block for about $1500, and all 302/351W heads bolt right on. The inexpensive $750 aftermarket aluminum heads available would be great for such an engine. With some custom parts to adapt the Explorer 302 PCM system to one, that motor could make an easy 400hp, in all conditions.

I'd love to see any combination, unfortunately the old 351/400M engines are not feasible any more. Good luck,

If you want a 408 size engine, here's one eBay reciprocating assembly that would get you just over 9:1 compression. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ryZ33620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the "K" option line, there are about 20 choices to selecting a compression, stroke etc. in the auction. That line "K" would make it close to $1500 shipped. I am sure that there are cheaper choices, and even whole short blocks out there for similar costs. This was just one quick search for a 351W based engine. Good luck,

either way, a 400 will have more than enough juice. But is the weight really worth it over a 351?

A 351 has been done a few times on this site, there is also a red 351 1st gen sport with a d44 sas somewhere.

Yeah i found the red 351 and have not been able to read up on it. I wonder what the weight differance is between the 351 and 400 is

Only reason im looking at a 400 is because i have one sitting in my storage.

I would do a 351C the M motors are crap in my mind:rolleyes: My dad has a '80 F250 with about it's 4th or 5th 400M in it. Were thinking of putting in a 460 and call it good. The 460 get's crap for millage but it's got juice;)

Man we have had great luck with the 400M's Got one with 300 plus still going.

Im still not counting anything out. So 351 is getting looked at.

But just in case anyone was wondering. The axles will hold when the current configuration is replaced.

do a clevlend and find some old CJ heads for it. :cool: That will solve your power issues:D

Wait a min. Im doing some checking and is the 400m a small block im seeing referances to both

see post #27

Duh that was my dumb moment for the hour.......

Internet shows many different things and i have been reading tonight. Im a little slow in the engine dept.

My first engine book was the best first Ford book. It has a yellow cover with four engines on it, it lists the four main Ford families(then), and all dimensions of them. The dimensions alone made that worth the $9.95 cost.

The 400 is a very good engine for old full sized trucks, for torque. It has a longer stroke than basically all Fords, at 4.0 inches. The 460 has a 3.85" stroke, the 429 has a 3.59" stroke.

The 400 weighs almost as much as a big block, it being slightly shorter is all that makes it lighter. It's a lot heavier than a 351W, likely 100 pounds or so. Do a 351W, all aftermarket heads(dozens) will work on them.

Do a 351W, all aftermarket heads(dozens) will work on them.

I agree, throw a torquey (spelling?) 351W in there and call it a day.

The 93-95 blocks EFI motors out of the Lightnings come with 340 ft lbs of torque and are good till around 700-750 hp :D

Keep in mind you gotta do alot of work to get ANY power out of a 400m. Modified they can be a power house... in stock 2bbl truck form they are gutless boat anchors (sorry, IMHO).

As far as the size goes, well i think thats going to be the final "not worth it" deal. The 351W is really tight in the Explorer. If you can stick a 429/460 in a Ranger, then im sure you can stick a 400M in an X... but plan on modifying or moving everything.

If you keep the motor stock a 400M will make around 70hp and 105lb/ft on propane. :p:

You do realize that the "M" stands for Mush! The 351 and 400M's were not Fords best engines. They are heavy, under powered and suffer from '70's technology trying to make a pig into a smog happy motor. If you are at all successful in fitting the engine in the Explorer, you are going to have serious cooling issues as there is no physical way you can fit a radiator large enough to cool a 400 into an Explorer (unless you figure out a way to mount it in the rear). Do yourself a favor and stick with a real small block, you'll be far better off in the long run.

Back