410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

With this sweet rig, you seem the the guy to ask about my problem. Swapped a 92 T-Bird 5.0 in to my 87 Ranger. Much the same harness as your BII..

The only factory gauge I can't get to work is the ammeter. Nothing I've tried will make it show that it's charging. It does show when it's discharging, like when the headlights are on, etc, so I know the gauge still works. I just don't know how to wire the alternator to the factory 87 Ranger harness to have it show charge status. I think I'm missing the factory shunt?

I used a Ron Francis efi harness and left the Ranger body harness intact, but unplugged/ditched the underhood engine harness, etc. If that matters..

Any tips for me? I've read the EVTM manual for the 87 until I was blue in the face. Even gave myself CO poisoning trying to keep warm in a shop for several hours trying to figure this one out, which made me even more stupid in the long run. lol

Sorry to clutter up your thread.

GB :)

Nevermind. I've given up on the factory ammeter and I'm sending it out to Rocketman to be converted to a voltmeter.

Dang sorry I missed this

An ammeter requires a shunt for sure, I know this because my diesel generator uses an ammeter, shunt and circuit breaker in the charging circuit...which was giving me fitts
Ammeter will not read or work properly without the shunt in the system

I too would have gutted that gauge and converted it to a real voltmeter

Back