410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Come on, A little frost bite on the hands never hurt anyone :)

At least you dont feel all the cuts and scrapes until you get back inside.

Thanks for the updates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE:

5.0L on hoist, first fit with motor mounts, dual sump oil pan and oil filter adapter:
2893hoist.jpg

2893first_fit.jpg

View from flywheel (prior to body work and paint)
2893tunnel.jpg

Initial clearance between dual sump pan and duff cast drop bracket (ouch):
2893duff_clear.jpg

Heater box notch and patch:
2893heater_box.jpg

Heater box air flow clearance
2893heater_box_clear.jpg

looking good =) do everything right the first time and get the motor set where it needs to be, redoing everything later cause your not happy with it down the road sucks (I need to pull my v8 and reset the motor mounts cause i dont like the way the motor is sitting, and the pos oil filter relocator kit i used is leaking) The BII with a 5.0 is going to be sick power/weight ratio wise also :D

Savage Wolf said:
the pos oil filter relocator kit i used is leaking)

Yep, they are crap. Gotta give up the bucks for the billet one, the pot-metal ones sold as TA etc brands are all the same crap from the same mold. I wend thru 2 of them on my Ranger before I realized they were so dellicate. :mad:

Captain AirTime said:
Yep, they are crap. Gotta give up the bucks for the billet one, the pot-metal ones sold as TA etc brands are all the same crap from the same mold. I wend thru 2 of them on my Ranger before I realized they were so dellicate. :mad:

Yup, mine came from James Duff, was thinking i was saving $$ on it... so much for that idea :fire: when i get the motor out of mine i'm going with a billet one or just taking the whole oil filter mount off my 5.0 and tap the lines right off the motor if i can

The one I got is from Canton, it was $60 shipped or so and it fits perfect. Of course I wont know if it leaks till way later, but I learned from all the others who used the POS style cheapo and had leaks. When I did my 4.0L I was in uncharted waters, with this 5.0L I let everyone else do the trial and error first! hahaha

Canton billet 90 degree adapter:
2893filter_adapter.jpg

Heater box inside seal with fiberglass:
2893box_inside.jpg

Firewall and federwell rust repaired with fiberglass, prepped and painted:
2893painted.jpg

Frame cleaned, prepped and painted:
2893frame.jpg

She's bolted in.......
Muahahahahaha
2893bolted_in.jpg

Some notes from last night:
The explorer 5.0L block uses a oil filter adapter that will not work with the Canton (or similar) oil filter 90 degree elbow. The piece that the new elbow threads onto is missing from the block. I had to get this piece from another 5.0L block (thanks Brett), then I was able to mount the Canton adapter.

The L&L engine mounts are almost perfect, they lined up when bolted to the engine cradle way better then I ever would have imagined, they also put the engine way down low while still clearing everything very well. However I found it was 100 times easier to bolt the mounts completely to the block, then lower the block in place, its such a tight fit that I couldnt get the pass side bolt through both pieces. Doing it this way made it a snap. the bolts that hold the mounts to the cradle go in last.

The heater box will not fit in place after the block is bolted in. :)
again learned this the hard way. I guess it depends on where your engine sits and how much of the box you notch, but I had to loosen the engine mounts, raise the block about 4" and swing it forward, then install the box.

There is about 1/4" clearance between the Canton elbow and the power steering box, I have about 1/2" clearance between the Duff drop bracket and oil pan now, both of these will improve when the tran is installed and the back of the engine gets lifted slightly.

I will also replace my body mounts with Urethane later this year, so that will provide some additional clearance around the heater box and trans tunnel.

The Explorer 5.0L radiator will not fit with teh fan on the engine, I am looking into a conversion radiator or possibly raditaro support modifications.......I am 40% there......... I would say.......

Looks great. Now call in to work, max your cards out and get er done :)

Oh wait, that sounds like something I would do. hahahah

"When I did my 4.0L I was in uncharted waters"

Doing the 4.0 swap wasn't too trying, being a direct bolt in (I used the whole dash from an Exploder to save even wiring that ;) ) And as you've found, there's not too many snags with the 5.0L either, except that it doesn't bolt to the same exhaust/mounts/aircleaner/flywheel :D
For the rad, I had a custom one built and shoved it right up inside the support for lots of clearance I didn't get many pics, but this one shows a front view quite well, after endo-ing off a dune a little too hard LOL!
smashed%20grill%20and%20bumper.jpg

The thing about the 4.0L was I had never done anything like that before, not even pulled an engine at that point :)
I will likely go with a conversion radiator.....or a custom unit.

How much did the radiator run you?
The "conversion" radiators I have seen look really similar to a skid steer loader radiator.... hmmm

about $300 CDN. at the time, considerably cheaper than a 'conversion' radiator.

OKay I removed all the useless jibber jabber I contributed to this thread, so it is shorter and easier to follow progress. So if it looks like some posts dont fit, ignore it. there was alot of duplicated info in here.....

I quit my job of 10 years today (it was planned) so MUCH progress shall be made shortly.
Oh dont worry it was in favor of a new one....

man, I am truly impressed with the progress so far, especially from a self professed rookie. :thumbsup: I've thought about this conversion but figured it was too much time and expense since I'm looking for a 57 chevy. But you're making this look easy(I'm sure it's not). Keep up the good work, glad I decided to follow your progress :cool:

:chug: :chug:

Thanks man!
It is and isnt easy. Of course its alot of work, but I am no stranger to that, this is my hobby and I share it with some good friends. I wouldnt have it any other way. I have done a few drivetrain conversions before, so that helps.

Dont forget I have not tackled the wiring yet. Thias truck went from speed density 2.9 to DIS OHV 4.0L and now to EEC-V 97 electronic engine and trans control :)

Also alot of the detail work will come once shes running.

Now that the 5.0L is bolted in and has been "fit" I will tackle the wiring, plumbing, cooling, and routing. Also vacuum, fuel, and control cables. Exhaust will be dead last., Planning explorer manifolds and possible explorer Y pipe to single 3" cat and muffler, right out the back (would go out side, but isnt legal on a BII)

All this while saving for the AA adapter or Dana 20 T case conversion and floor shifter....

Mid Feb??

looks like it is coming along nice jamie. OBDII can be a pain till you get the hang of it. I ready to go for a ride when its done. Should leave a few ricers scracthing there heads.

Okay I have been researching online 5.0L conversion EFI wiring into earlier model vehicles. Specifically looking into OBD-II wiring. Guess what, nothing, nada, no info.......I did find some pretty inspiring projects however, mostly in the Mustang world....got me thinking. I found a Mustang that has all the wiring hidden away behind the inner fenders and also behind the firewall. Yeah I dont think so, this causes the harness builder to create several smaller harnessses to reach components in the engine bay, however the end result is CLEAN.

I may have to extend 90% of the wires in my harness anyway, due to the 97 Explorer EEC location compared to where the EEC mounts in my truck, so this is a possability ;0
Shall know more this weekend...

the 5.0L wiring will be installed on the drivetrain this weekend, mapped out, cut apart and analyzed. I can then figure out what systems stay and what systems go, then how to incorportate the engine and trans harness into my current power distribution and truck systems.

For the 2.9L to 4.0L it requires about 18 hours of solid harness building and countless hours of research (the first time) the last 4.0L to EFI OBD-I 5.0l we did took about 4-5 hours to build and alot of research, but was not as tricky as the 4.0L. The 5.0L uses more of a stand alone engine harness that is easier to adapt to vehicles and existing systems. However I am not sure many OBD-II conversions have been done :) I have seen a few late model vehicles that are already OBD_II get OBD-II swaps.
I have also seen late model engines with OBD-II converted to OBD-I (read add distributor and ignition module) in order to make the swap easier.

I like the idea of hookin up my laptop and choosing from multiple fuel/air curves and shift points in a 88 Bronco II, so we shal see how this turns out....

Once I know what I am dealing with I will know if I need a computer re-flash or an older PCM to make this work......Doug904 dont be surprised if your phone rings soon :)

Torque Monster Headers with Spark Plug Heat Shields

Jamie,

I sent you an email on a proposal. We (Tech Performance & Engineering) would like to send you a set of Torque Monster Headers for your engine swap.

We've had a few calls on this swap (5.0 V8 Explorer/Mountaineer engine into a Ranger/BrancoII) and would like to have someone let us know if our headers are a viable alternative. In the Explorer/Mountaineer the headers are a direct replacement for the present manifolds you have on the motor. But, we don't have the data on the engine swap.

Let us know if you have the GT40-P heads, we will include the spark plug heat shields (set of 8) in polished stainless steel.

Email me at; "rcpasq@yahoo.com". Thank you.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
P.O. Box 22088
San Diego, CA 92192 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :burnout:

Bob,

Please note my email has changed, I am no longer with Lerch Bates.

New Email:
jamiesan@direcway.com

I look forward to responding to your proposal :)
Thanks for the support!!!

Jamie

rcpasq said:
Jamie,

I sent you an email on a proposal. We (Tech Performance & Engineering) would like to send you a set of Torque Monster Headers for your engine swap.

We've had a few calls on this swap (5.0 V8 Explorer/Mountaineer engine into a Ranger/BrancoII) and would like to have someone let us know if our headers are a viable alternative. In the Explorer/Mountaineer the headers are a direct replacement for the present manifolds you have on the motor. But, we don't have the data on the engine swap.

Let us know if you have the GT40-P heads, we will include the spark plug heat shields (set of 8) in polished stainless steel.

Email me at; "rcpasq@yahoo.com". Thank you.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
P.O. Box 22088
San Diego, CA 92192 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :burnout:

Dang why didnt ya do this when i was doing my swap :p I ended up getting james duff header (now sitting in my shop waiting for me to get a early bronco to put them on) and a set of L&L headers that I needed to still cut up to make work :mad:

:eek: dang, you lucky dog you :eek:

:chug: :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Allright well here it is...

I have been touched by the aftermarket gods.
Bob is sending me a set of headers for this 5.0L free of charge, fully loaded, and ready to bolt up.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I would like to that Bob in advance for this wonderful gift. I will do a full write up and install on these headers and how well they work with my conversion as it happens.....

So like they say on Monster Garage

FREEBIEEEE Ka-Ching!!
$800 worth of ceramic coated, performance enhancing, late model 5.0L headers....

I will find a nice spot for those stickers.....

To learn more about Torque Monster headers and Robert CLICK HERE

Back