410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Hey thanks!

Mileage is not bad at all, now that the bugs are all worked out, it shifts and drives better than any drivetrain I have had in there to date. However since it is so much fun to drive and sounds *****in I would not say I have been doing any MPG tests, more like how much gas can I use up in one day, type driving :)

It is similar to the 4.0L and A4LD milage wise, I would guesstimate about 16 mpg average. Please keep in mind this truck is an 88 with 4.10 gears and 33's, so the speedometer/odometer, although very close, are not as accurate as say, my GPS. :)

The wheels are always getting compliments, I love them too! Unfortunatley they are crap. They are made by Superior (out of business) and are called "Startec" they are 15x7.5 with 3.75 BS. I picked them up from a used wheel shop about 5 years ago for $350 or something...two of them were bent pretty badly, the guy I bought them from failed to tell me this and they were on HIS truck! Jerk!
Anyways I tracked down a company in CA that had purchased all of Superior's left over stock, and I bought a 5th wheel for $180 hahaha So that is why I have 5, the bent one is my spare. The other one is only slightly bent and I am actually going to have both the bent ones straightened here pretty soon, I met a guy who does this.
I love the look of the wheels for sure, I wish someone else would make a similar dish 5 star style rim, but in truth they are junk....they take ALOT of stick on weights to balance out to 0, and then I run Equal on top of that....

Progress on the truck continues, she vapor locked on me a few times recently, the exhaust required some heat shielding. I re-located my fuel filter and heat protected it, I bit ythe bullet and wrapped the explorer down pipes with copper header wrap, I fabricated heat shields for the fuel lines at the valve cover, the cat converter to torque converter, and also cat converter to shift solenoids. So far so good! She runs like a DREAM. Next I am adding an additional trans cooler (pan temp has seen 180 lately, not too hot but hotter then I would like to see), my rolled 96 Explorer the trans cooler survived so its going in the BII. Then I will be adding A/C in the next couple of weeks, I have all the parts. It will require two custom hoses to be built and re-mounting of my Ron Davis radiator :) = weekend project

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe you need to Space Out...

To improve performance a little more (5-10hp) and move the upper intake away from the engine for cooler air going to the injectors, you could install the 1" EFI Heat Spacer available from Ford Racing, p/n M-9486-A53.

According to the Ford Racing 2005 Parts Catalog, the spacer is CNC machined from Westinghouse Type C phenolic material and fits between the upper and lower intake manifolds to help dissipate heat and significantly increase performance. Includes longer bolts. Also, if you want to install those fancy Ford Racing valve covers, this spacer will give you the room to do so.

What they don't say is, this spacer also helps with absorbing high frequency sounds waves that can disrupt smooth fuel/air delivery to the engine. In the early days of Tunnel Ram induction (late 1960's and early '70's), a lot of Racers would use Pine wood, machined smooth and install it between the upper and lower manifolds. Worked great in the old Modified Production, Gas, Super Modified and early Pro Stock classes of the day.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
:thumbsup: :burnout:

Bob,

The FMS valve covers will clear the conversion headers I assume? I believe you had these pictured on the mock up engine you used for my header rebuild?

Thanks for the info! Let the 5.0L MODS begin!!

-Jamie

410Fortune said:
Bob,

The FMS valve covers will clear the conversion headers I assume? I believe you had these pictured on the mock up engine you used for my header rebuild?

Thanks for the info! Let the 5.0L MODS begin!!

-Jamie

Jamie/Bob,

When you find the P/N of the valve covers that'll fit, let me know. I want to install some 1.6 roller-rockers and a heat spacer pretty soon. I'm not concerned with the looks of the covers, but want something to clear the rockers without :hammer:

-Aaron

James/Aaron,

The only valve covers that would be almost a direct bolt-on and fit the roller rockers would be the '86-'93 Mustang 5.0 valve covers. The Ford Racing catalog has them in chromed aluminum under p/n M-6582-D302.

Also,
Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers p/n M-6000-K302R.

Ford Racing black satin valve covers p/n M-6000-J302R.

The Ford Racing valve covers you've seen in the Swap Headers photos have the holes in the wrong places or too many. The Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 has the left (driver) side valve cover with no openings. The right (passenger) side has only the neck opening towards the front for oil fill. The above valve covers come extremely close and should be able to be adapted very easily.

These valve covers should clear the Torque Monster Headers, whether they're standard Explorer/Mountaineer Headers or Swap Headers.

These are photos of the '86-'93 valve covers painted blue on a '99 Explorer 5.0 V8 going into a 95 Ranger. As you will see, the Headers clear.

Bob Pasquale
Torque Monster Headers

Attachments

• LS_Header_95_Ranger_1.jpg
    LS_Header_95_Ranger_1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,294
  • RS_Header_95_Ranger_1.jpg
    RS_Header_95_Ranger_1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,298

How does the paint hold up?
Those are sexy :)

Who's Ranger and can I ask what engine mounts they are using?

Thanks Bob!

I believe the valve covers are actually powder coated. Usually that stuff holds up very well and you can make them just about any color you like. I believe Chris from Florida is using L&L mounts, just like you.

I sent him the first redesigned swap headers. When I get photos, I'll post them.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Torque Monster Headers :cool:

You dont want the PC on the lip where the gasket goes however, just like chrome it makes it much easier for leaks to form.

that truck looks great so far, the headers, of course look amazing.
Bob you want to put any information in this thread about those torque stepped headers you built for a 1450 truck with a 347? I think I saw something on DezertRangers about a custom set you were building for high power applications??

The Torque Monster's Secret Project...

Okay, you've found the Torque Monster's Secret Project. These new Off-Road Race Headers are built for a 1450 truck ('05 Ranger extended cab by Giant Motorsports) with a 347 stroker, and Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads. They are a torque-step design starting with 1-1/2" for the first 4-5 inches coming out of the ports, then jumps to 1-5/8" to the merge collector. The tubes are set to fire in clockwise circular order into that merge collector which promotes better scavaging.

The back tube that swirls up and then down is designed to miss the engine cage. These Headers are also designed to give full access to the starter without having to remove the header on that side.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Torque Monster Headers :thumbsup: :burnout:

RS_Off-Road_Header_347-1.jpg

Looks like the cylinder #3 spark plug might be tricky with those suckers :)

Yee of so little faith... not tricky at all. Spark plugs are a streight shot, with better access to the header bolts than previously possible. Thanks for noticing. All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Torque Monster Headers :cool:

OH sorry I know this Bob, I knew you had worked the spark plug access into the design, trust me! hahaha Everything on the previous sets took a little patience but once you get the proceedure down its a snap and it fits perfect. :) I just meant in that picture....

the ranger in the pics is mine. the paint is called Melina Blue. It was used for only 1 year (99) on the mercury cougars. Maybe somewhat limited since I dont see many in that color. I hope the paint will hold up. The mounts are L&L with 1 inch spacers between the mount and block so the rh header will clear the frame rail. I really like the top secret headers. Bob, any chance they'll make it into production for a ranger? Like 95ish? :burnout:
410fortune: what did you use for exhaust off the headers? do you have any pics? i dont have factory cats nor will i be using them and i'm not sure if an exhaust shop can make the ball flanges on the torque monsters.

You can get the generic ball flanges for your headers at alot of places. I cant remember were the last place i got mine was but they are out there. Im sure rcpasq could hook you up with a set.

cjcnomor4 said:
the ranger in the pics is mine. the paint is called Melina Blue. It was used for only 1 year (99) on the mercury cougars. Maybe somewhat limited since I dont see many in that color. I hope the paint will hold up. The mounts are L&L with 1 inch spacers between the mount and block so the rh header will clear the frame rail. I really like the top secret headers. Bob, any chance they'll make it into production for a ranger? Like 95ish? :burnout:
410fortune: what did you use for exhaust off the headers? do you have any pics? i dont have factory cats nor will i be using them and i'm not sure if an exhaust shop can make the ball flanges on the torque monsters.
cjcnomor4,

I believe 410Fortune used slightly modified Explorer downpipes. You either can use the Explorer pipes or have a good muffler shop make up something very simular for your Ranger. See attached photos.

On the race Headers, they just don't bolt right in. On the race truck, the firewall was modified to allow the Headers to dump out over the bellhousing and not interfere with the starter. On the previous Headers, I believe they were Hooker, one of the tubes went down under the starter. Everytime you wanted to change the starter, you had to remove the header on that side.

Yes, these headers clear the frame rails. They fit snug and do not touch anything. Thank you.

Bob Pasquale
Torque Monster Headers

Attachments

• BII_LS_downpipe.jpg
    BII_LS_downpipe.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • BII_RS_downpipe_w-header.jpg
    BII_RS_downpipe_w-header.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,085

Yes I used the stock Explorer down pipes (save $$$, gave me all 4ea 02 sensor ports and dual primary cats)

The drivers side was modified to clear the mustang dual sump oil pan and the front driveshaft, as pictured above.

You could take the stock Ex pipes to the exhaust shop and they could cut the stock flanges they need from them and use them to bend up a true dual setup or whatever you decide to run from there back.

With my truck I wanted a single 3" setup, but the main point of my conversion was also to fool the truck completely into thinking it is a 97 Merc Mountaineer, complete with OBD-II and everything. I accomplished that, it passed emissions perfectly, and now I can build/mod the drivetrain slowly over time from here.

I am not happy with how far the stock explorer pipe hangs down. Its kind of my fault when we were doing my exhaust I positioned the pipe before they bent up the mods/rest of the system. When it was up on the rack and we were under it it looked fine. It's not that bad, but if I was to do it again I would have put the cat a bit closer to teh trans pan and up another 1.5" or so (eventually I will)

I also made up some really simple heat guards recently, they a sheet aluminum and mount to the transmission basically, they go between the cats and the trans, the starter and the exhaust, etc. I also wrapped up some of the pipe with copper header wrap, this helps keep my passengers feet cooler, and also helps keep the trans fluid and engine oil cool.

I too am running a 1/2" spacer between the L&L mounts and the block, this was to clear my suspension drop bracket, no the TM header.

Torque Monster Race Headers...

I finally completed the Left side (driver side) on the race Headers for the Ranger pickup last Friday. Once again, they're torque step from 1-1/2" for the first 4"-5" and then 1-5/8" to the merge collectors.

Bob Pasquale
Torque Monster Headers
:cool: :burnout:

Attachments

• LS7_Race_Header_347.jpg
    LS7_Race_Header_347.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,404

Very nice looking headers. Nice work. How much longer will the collector be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only in CA does the frame get boxed with flamed plates, hahaha

Man those look nice, is it top secret or can we know whos truck this is?
347 crate engine?
DROOL

Did I ever tell you guys how bad I want to build a 2wd Ranger?

Back