410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update!

Recently I removed my Torque Monster headers and re-sealed them using copper manifold gaskets

tmheaderdone.jpg

The bronco II has NEVER run better, without the exhaust leaks the 02 sensors are happy.
The computer seems to be happier now and well the 5.0L runs like a bat out of hell plus the truck just sounds so much better with no leaks.

I have BIG plans for the BII coming up, including more exhaust mods to increase the ground clearance under the truck for wheeling

NO CODES

Today 061208 I finally have no codes.
I was plagued by 3 codes
1 was HEGO sensor Bank 1 pre heater
2 Was BOO circuit malfunction
3 was P0705 DTRS Circuit failure

the HEGO and BOO codes were due to TWO smashed pins on my PCM. I bought a spare PCM in town for $40 and that fixed that

The P0705 code was a bit more tricky
I found out recently the P0705 code is a serious code, it puts the transmission into limp mode, driving like this is BAD. I ignored it, because I did not know it was this serious AND because my truck shifted all 4 drive Gears.

The P0705 code was due to a bad wire from my DTRS to my PCM, one of 4 TR wires is bad, shorted or something, at this point I am not 100% clear. Today I bypassed all 4 of these wires, went directly from sensor to computer, and now the truck is 100%
My "band aid" harness will stay in place for a few more days for testing..

I will be removing my conversion wiring harness and fixing it

This P0705 code cost me a transmission
I now have a new:
-DTRS (97 explorer)
-PCM (97 Explorer F77F-Blc)'
-4r70w (rebuild local builder $$$$$$$$)
-1354 t case (craigslist, 93 explorer 80K miles, I had to shave 1/4" of material off the input shaft so it doesnt bottom out on my 4r70w Advance Adapters output shaft, another nightmare problem that helped kill my 4r70w)
-New steering linkage
-Customized radius arms to push my wheels forward
A custom steering intermediate shaft

and best of all NO CEL!!!!!!!!!!!

its been a long road...... if I only knew then what I know today!!!
NO CODES MAKE ME HAPPY

Someday you'll actuall go offroading :D I can't wait to actually see this thing I have read about since January of 2005 :eek:

You know I'm just kidding. I know how it goes. However, you are half the reason I decided to stay with the 4.0L and put the 700R-4 behind it. The other half was 90ranajo's 2.3 to 4.0 conversion that we did. I am surprised that wiring hack job that we did on that is still holding :confused: But we did take our time and carefully spliced so it should be good for a while:rolleyes:

I know! 2008 was the first winter in 13 years the BII didnt see snow.. it sat in a garage, and now its the middle of June and shes finally getting on the trail

I did however wheel the crap out of my Explorer two weeks ago...she impressed the hell out of me, for a heavy SOB the 4406 t case and 33's will really take a 4 door ex places, even with sway bars and traction bars, etc... reminded me of why I fell in love with these trucks in the first place...they go anywhere!

BII is getting aligned today
Shes got alot of new parts on her from fixing all the bugs......
detail session today and starting to attack the bodywork
I am thinking the bed liner treatment may be perfect for my BII, that and alot of weight being shed!

:popcorn: Can't wait to see progress pics :popcorn:

HOLY CRAP...

I just spent the last 4 hours reading EVERY LINE, and looking at EVERY PICTURE in this thread.

I am going to swap a `97 5.0L into my X. But I am going to also swap in the `97 dash....or, I am going to TRY TO swap in the `97 dash....

But instead of the auto trans, I am going to use a T-5....

What exactly was required to delete the charcoal canister and cainster vent solenoid, which are "both a waste of space?" in your words..

Ryan

Two things...If you put the '97 dash in, you'll have to also put the door panels in with it. Also, if you're 2wd, you'll be OK with the T5 but if you're 4wd, you're out of luck with that tranny. Advance Adapters doesn't sell the parts for that swap anymore. Good Luck;)

I was planning on the door panel swap.

The hard part now is deciding which pieces from the `92 Harness are staying, and which are going away...

This will also require me to swap to the 2nd Gen HVAC box...

410, can I get a peek at your diagrams for your harness?

Ryan

Spdracer, you are putting a 97 5.0L into a 92 truck and using the 97 dash and door panels as well? (just to clarify)

Also I hope you took notes! LOL

To answer your questions:
the charcoal canister basically stores some fumes from the gas tank until the canister purge valve opens, then the fumes are sucked into the intake so the gas vapors can be burned.

I simply removed the charcoal canister from this equation, meaning when my canister vent and purgeo solenoids (Gen II's have both in series, one near fuel tank, ine near throttle body) it simply vents from the top of my gas tank directly, no chacoal canister.
Completely legal here in CO, not sure about where you live
IN CA its likely I would have to add a Charcoal canister of sorts to pass emissions, phooey on them!

Installing a Gen II HVAC box is NOT SIMPLE
Some people have swapped out the ENTIRE FIREWALL in order to accomplish this.

I personally think you are complicating things by trying to retain all the Gen II dash functions, wiring, dash, door panels, etc
it is much easier to install the 5.0L drivetrain as a stand alone unit into your 92 truck IMO
Going this route you only have about 16 wires total that talk to the truck, and thats including cruise control, push button 4x4 (if you wanted it), etc

Email me for wiring info, although without having both harness torn apart in front of you the info I have may take a while to understand :)

I vote keep your Gen I HVAC controls, notch the AC box to clear the valve cover and exhaust, thats just me though, the conversion has been done both ways

Ryan are you after the 95-01 dash itself, because like Jamie said the engine is simple to swap compared to the dash/wiring/AC etc?

The dash mounts are all located differently in the 95+ models compared to the 1st gen. Explorer.

The whole firewall is different enough from the pre 95 that I chose to clip my whole front end to retain the 99 dash etc. easier. I could have kept the whole 93 front end and body work, but the fabrication to do it would have been a lot harder and less straight forward.

If you do use the 95-01 dash and wiring, the best route would be to use as much of the later wiring harnesses as possible. There are ten main harnesses in the Explorer 4dr.

Yes, I am going to ATTEMPT to put the `97 dash, console, and door panels into my `92.

To accomplish this, I will need to swap the `97 HVAC unit.....I can weld.....

I am 2WD, and also want to swap in a Manual Transmission....I realize that I probably won't be able to do it NOW...but down the road, I will have a Manual in my X again.

I am 14 mi. west of Seattle, No Emmissions tests here....we have good air here....no need for it.

Ryan

Okay then, look at the two firewalls carefully. You will be fabricating new dash mounts, that and the AC surface will be the hard part. You can use the whole 95-01 wiring, and I would do that if you go with the dash and AC. That would require changing the firewall main wire holes, the LF door hole, and not much else. You might want to do the whole firewall and steering column etc.

Look through my pictures in my 99 thread, most of the important pictures are there. Let me know if you need something else, I have a lot more pictures. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread026.JPG
    Projectthread026.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,617
  • Projectthread018.JPG
    Projectthread018.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 3,571
  • Projectthread035.JPG
    Projectthread035.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,555
  • Projectthread053.JPG
    Projectthread053.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,629

Hey, its me again, im finally starting my 4.0 swap and could use some help. Thge vehicle i found is a 95 so im jumping to a OBDII system. The place where i need help is the dash mounts. Do you have any advice on how to make them? or is it a better idea if i just cut the whole firewall out of the 95 x and put it in my 85 BII? any help would be great. Oh and do you still have the tan interior that you used to in your BII?

Stephan! whats up!!

yes I still have my tan interior, its in the BII

95 is not OBD-II, its OBD-I still

use the 95 dash, seems to be the way people go these days, I love my 88 dash, but it wont have any stock gauges in it for long

Stephan! whats up!!

yes I still have my tan interior, its in the BII

95 is not OBD-II, its OBD-I still

use the 95 dash, seems to be the way people go these days, I love my 88 dash, but it wont have any stock gauges in it for long

You still thinking about taking the interior completely out and doing a trail rig? if so, im still interested in the interior.

I agree, i like the old school style of the 85 dash i have too, but its just too complicated to figure out all the wiring with out the newer dash.

any advice on the swap? dash mount location? fire wall swap? Just go to town with a acetylene torch and say screw it? ha

Check out my BII post for some of the recent pictures. Let me know what you think of what i have done so far!

Just happens since you have one of the nicest BII's your opinion is valued.

Great thread, Im sure i will be looking back at it quite often while I do my 97 explorer v8 swap into my B2. Spent all day looking at this thread LOL.

Sounds great (literaly). At 3000 in the garage with open headers, I bet it was loud......"What did you say".....I said I bet it was loud.

Hey, how about posting more Please. I miss all your informative posts.

I have a questions, I am doing a very simialar swap, with 97 explorer 5.0 engine, in a b2 the gas tank sensor you added, with out it does engine still seem to run Ok? I dont really have the emissions issues that you have. Thanks. Great article

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll answer...it's part of the OBD-II system....not having it would throw a code, and a Check Engine Light....

Ryan

Back