• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

JoleneTheExploder

Reaction score
City, State
WEST LINN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT V8
THAT is exactly what I found!!

Pics coming on my end also
I just sent my contact at TTD a message
Yeah I left both TTD and RCV messages. Hopefully hear back soon. If I hear anything I'll let you know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Spoke at length with Adem from True Travel
RCV is having Covid issues, axles have been back ordered since June!!

True Travel is aware of this issue and offered to send another axle BUT it might take MONTHS
So the other option is to clean up the splines ourselves to make it fit, which is what I will be doing (and others, we are not the only ones to experience this with RCV axles apparently)

This is a machining issue, the splines were cut deep enough but never "cleaned up" fully as far as I can tell.
If we look closely at the RCV vs the stock shaft you can see the machine marks on the RCV splines, look like a round bit cutting a square edge.

I used a file to clean up the leading edge so it is more "rounded" like the factory piece, and to remove some rough bits that were left on the edge (would catch my fingernail) and now I have the shaft very very close to sliding into the diff, but I am not going to force it.
Today I plan to clean up the valley of the splines very carefully with a Dremel until the shaft slides into place.
I will get some pictures of the process, I need to pick up some dremel bits in town this AM then it is on.

I assured Adem I could handle these mods no problem, I am used to this kind of thing doing custom fabrication.
I see this as a small hurdle and will overcome.
@JoleneTheExploder if you need you can send me your axle shaft and I can fix it up for you? Or follow along and get your dremel out! We can do this. I took EXTENSIVE measurements (like you) and found the CV shaft matches the factory part in every way, except the valley of the splines are just a tad too short (need deeper V)

COVID SUCKS

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
well its defective right from the factory so I would think so, and now this is all documented in public view
If I was RCV I would for sure honor the warranty on a defective part.
However the fix should make it perfect, I cannot imagine breaking one of these massive CV's

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Maybe give RCV and/or True Travel another call to make sure they will still honor the warranty? Lots of travel on a relatively short axle shaft. I am looking into a set for my D44 front axle because they remove most of the breaking points. That and a set of Reid knuckles would make a super strong D44. One of the key selling points is RCV's warranty.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I was told TT will cover the axle if I cannot make it fit, even with me filing away on it
All they have to do is replace the outer hub, not the whole CV
That is why I did not take a file or a mallet to it BEFORE I contacted Adem!

Smart thinking
Hurdle after hurdle it is what we do in the shop.....covid has tossed a wrench into just about every aspect of our lives

JoleneTheExploder

Reaction score
City, State
WEST LINN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT V8
@410Fortune I'm right there with you. Never heard back from TTD but I'm glad you did. When I talked to RCV yesterday they acted completely clueless to my issue and said that it had nothing to do with them and u should take it up with TTD. I'll put mine on the mill and take it down one spline at a time and see how it goes. I just don't want to remove too much and weaken the engagement. I'm going to keep pursuing the issue and see if I can gust get them to send me a new outer end to the CV.

JoleneTheExploder

Reaction score
City, State
WEST LINN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT V8
@410Fortune also an update to my spring selection. Ended up switching out mine and going with a 650# 10" upper and 750# 12" lower spring. With my front bumper and 12k winch it was just too much weight for the springs I had on it. I'll be fabricating a new front bumper from aluminum and it should drop the bumper weight from 130# down to 55# and be stronger than the existing. So we'll see how that plays out.

JoleneTheExploder

Reaction score
City, State
WEST LINN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT V8
I spent 4 hours with the spindle in the mill basically scrapping off mill dye on each pass and after 8 passes on each spline and measuring the unit out after each pass I finally have a shaft that fits the driver side @410Fortune i hope you have found similar good fortune. I'll post some pictures later.

AZtracMAN

Reaction score
City, State
Phx,az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Sport trac, xlt
I too have the TTD +2 kit for an 2004 sport trac. I was planning on installing soon but after reading your guys trouble with the drivers side CV axle I figured I’d better check mine as well. I pulled my drivers side axle and compared it to the RVC and had the same results the splines were not cut deep enough on the RCV axle. I also tried installing it with out the snap ring and it will not slide into the diff. Adem from TTD said he has been waiting on RCV for more axles since June and my best course of action would be to follow along with 410 and Dremel out the splines.