410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

I'll delete my last post about the 6R, clean up your thread a little.
Lol. I'm not the moderator. I just had useful relevant information for once and I got excited to hit the post button. It's all good. Forums are for discussions. I come here to learn too!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

once again thanks for putting that all up. the one thing i cant really do that you can is lay it all out and connect it. i want to put it in the truck, pin it all and be done. i little more work with a unterminated harness, but will look a lot nicer......i hope.
still havent even looked at mine yet. bad week, not going to get into it but the weather still isnt helping either. we got hit again with more snow and rain, now everything is flooding up here, and we might get more again this weekend. its the winter that wont end!!!! by the time i get ready to put all mine in, and have it running it will be next winter at this rate!
keep posting the good stuff however, and thanks again for doing that!

The 6r is a long shot behind a 5.0, as we have seen anything can be done, but you would really have to want that trans to make it work, like using 3.08 gears to help match the power bands, the small block ford is not ideal for the 6r gearing, but the Holley is capable of controlling several different auto transmissions.
For us lifted truck big tire dudes the 4r70w is awesome… I know I know if it only had one more gear! Or heck three!!

You are welcome! The wiring on paper was not terribly difficult. Wiring into the truck is very simple as far as routing and connections… way more simple then what I am used to doing working with factory harness and computers.

Don’t worry I will tailor this harness to fit our truck, but I do not expect to have to shorten any of the main harness, Holley did their homework on this setup for sure.

No need to delete anything discussion forum!

When the build is done I will make a shorter “highlight reel” thread I’m actually planning this for several of my builds it’s about time they were showcased and put in one spot.. just need some pc time like next winter

Listening to blues traveler in the shop… enjoying the rain and cool temps here in June!
Kids have one more week of school!! So ready for summer!
Property is a little flooded, river is up out of her banks… happens every spring if we get enough snow pack

Life is good! All Projects under control….some delayed for months due to soaked ground

I am wiring up the 07 right now I plan to have her running and driving by the end of June!!
2B2C0E34-2407-4E33-9375-2CEB7B125B87.jpeg
14017F58-70A7-4326-86AC-A4D9060DB65D.jpeg
23407E6D-FA21-4E46-87D0-696954E99BF2.jpeg

That looks beautiful.

It's been so dry here the desert barely had time to turn green over the winter.

That looks beautiful.

I wouldn't expect much of a monsoon season either

That looks beautiful.

here nothin turned green here by me... if anything it was a day after a light drizzle, thats it!!!

I was looking at those pictures and thinking how beautiful that part of the country is, but I just can't handle those months when it's all covered in white cold wet stuff, which is the reason it's so beautiful.

For some reason I was not seeing any updates on this build, I just caught up reading all your progress. This is a helluva build you got some serious skills my friend. I saw you got the driver’s side cv axle in what was the out come on that? Did RCV or TT take care of it or did you dremel it out?

What a view!

I was looking at those pictures and thinking how beautiful that part of the country is, but I just can't handle those months when it's all covered in white cold wet stuff, which is the reason it's so beautiful.
I couldn't handle the heat in your part of the country! Rather deal with 6 mo. of winter. But that's the great thing about our huge country, you can literally move to virtually any climate and stay in the USA! And your area as well as 410's are both beautiful. Finally getting enough rain so it's all green here.

More update pics of the build please! Lol

I'm just kidding you Jamie.

I'm trying! LOL you funny guy

TGIF!!!

Okay lets get you guys caught up to speed....
Holley wiring is mostly installed!!

We have an active warranty claim with RCV I am to send in the defective half shaft for repair!!
Thanks to Eddie Money following up with RCV this time around, we finally have light at the end of the tunnel. We have been after a replacement CV axle since 10/2020

All engine parts are clean and being prepped for final install... we should be ready to program the Holley pcm!
I have lots of pictures to get through here so I figured I better get an update posted!!

First up the comp cams pushrods and factory rockers needed to be installed, so I could do the final install of the valve covers and fuel rail......then finally the Holley wiring could be fit to the truck, engine and transmission

image_11112.jpg

What a view! Shop has been spring cleaned and organized, truck was cleaned by hand (again), ready for the next round of parts!!

image_11115.jpg

comp cams 6.3 magnum pushrods
Each one dipped in oil and installed into the lifter valley
Factory rockers and pedestal mounts cleaned, dipped in oil and installed. Engine turned over by hand several times (15/16" socket on crank damper)
Each rocker I bring to zero lash by hand then torque down. With the pushrod on the base circle of the camshaft (valves closed) It should take less then a half rotation/turn to achieve torque value
Valvetrain torque checked several times....28 ft lbs and done
Valve covers final installed with Felpro cork gaskets/permatex

image_11116.jpg

image10.jpg

image_11118.jpg

Don't worry that light surface rust / gasket surfaces will be cleaned up, of course
image_11117.jpg

Mmmmmmm yummy Mobil one 0-40W European car formula!!
image_12.jpg

both banks done, surfaces cleaned and prepped, time for valve covers

image_13.jpg

New 19#/hr (remanufactured, flow tested and matched set) 98-01 style injectors and O rings
image_16.jpg

Next up camshaft and crank sensors, the last step before the Holley wiring can go in image_12.jpg

Looks like warm flat beer and PB blaster. Warm beer is alcohol abuse.

Looks like warm flat beer and PB blaster. Warm beer is alcohol abuse.
aint warm beer a british thing? not sure though, im underage, and asian 🤣

yes he speaks in wrenching!

Had some internet issues yesterday..... trying again this am

fuel rail cleaned and installed with its hold down bolts. Injector O rings are coated in some vaseline, never install O ring dry
image_16.jpg

Time for new camshaft synchronizer
image110.jpg

#1 spark plug removed. Finger is wetted, stuck in the #1 hole. engine turned over until air rushes past y finger = compression stroke.
Then I use a flashlight and watch the piston travel to its top, then as soon as it begins to drop. stop. Cylinder #1 at TDC compression stroke.
Verify the position by bringing crank damper exactly to the "0"
Now cam sensor can be dropped in

image001.jpg

brand new Motorcraft synchronizer, 3 wire, 96-97.5 5.0 explorer
3 wire sensor snagged from 104K donor truck
wiring pigtails from junk yard to be wired directly to Holley harness

alignment tool installed, cam sensor dipped in oil, installed with hold down bolt
image_0002.jpg

image_112.jpg

next round of parts
image_0003.jpg

image_113.jpg

image_114.jpg

97 style crank sensor and guard cleaned up and installed

Finally time for the drivetrain wiring!!

Looking good!
Which injectors are those?
I'm trying to remember what the difference in the 2 and 3 wire camshaft position sensor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back