410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4

I really like the idea of a rubber floor kit
Not sure if one is available for my ex

I just found this thread good reading

BTW sweet lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea of mixing batteries! We find ourselves in need of some smaller led lights with magnets, I hate to be limited to just dewalt their flashlights/led lights are so pricey!
Good to know about the adapters, gives me more options.

My dad has some of that scaffolding!! Ill have to see if I can borrow, I don't think his goes tall enough. So far to work up there I put a ladder in the bed of a ranger. I had 3 stories wiorth of real scaffolding in CO but had to get rid of it before the move...Just the casters on that sucker were worth like $200 a piece.. I like to find that stuff on CL and yard sales.

We did our first transmission replacement using the lift yesterday....man oh man. All these years....
Used to be I forget a socket I have to get up off the creeper and go get it....now I just walk over there! So much easier on me...makes tinkering under the truck much much more possible.
This is my favorite place to be now, under the lift tinkering on the under carriage. Took about 1 hour to install a 4r70w, starter, exhaust, t case, and drivelines....too easy now.
We used a matco rolling cart I have and just put the transmission jack on top of that...until I can buy some new under lift jacks this will do

On my way over to my folks house yesterday to plow their driveway the BII lost a front axleshaft!! No 4wd in 8" of slush and on pure ice...that was interesting. I unlocked the hubs and made the trip in RWD. I had to use the front and rear lockers with just the drivers hub locked to make the hill on the way back into the house....3 attempts to crest that icey hill, each time backing down closer to the edge. Third try a bit more speed..... I made it!
The last time this axle shaft came out like that was in Moab in 2011?

So I came home got the V8 Ranger trans installed and put the BII on the lift....she melted all her snow last night, this am I get to fix the axleshaft ON THE LIFT!!!! YEAH!!
I already have the parts, been meaning to install anyways

Happy New year!! 2020 is gonna be awesome

we do have 4 door explorers here with the rubber floor, I think they came out of sport tracs? or late model sports......Ill check and see where he got his with my stepson
His wifes 98 explorer has a rubber floor

You can stack those Baker racks safely up to 3 sections tall. You just need a 2nd person to stand on the opposite side rungs, when climbing up to the top. I worked on 20 foot ceilings with them no problem. Have your helper push you around when ready to move. They make out rigger stabilizers for them too.

First time I used a lift, was to change a rear seal in a 94 ex. Took us 2 hours. While it was up, another 20 mins to weld a new muffler on. Lol

Lost another "dust cap"
You see my front axle has a ARB locker in the differential, 93 explorer dana 35 yukon 4.10 gears with ARB locker.
The ARB locker leaves no room for the pass side inner stub shaft c clip to retain it. So an old desert racer trick to keep positive pressure on the inner stub shaft, is to run a valve spring inside the axle shaft slip yoke on the passenger side. I have been messing around with this setup for many many years. The problem is the slip yoke is held closed with a simple light metal dust cap. First we welded the dust cap in place....kablooey under a hard compression (okay I was catching some air in the BII on a sandy wash) in Moab the dust cap blew out. I finished the moab trip in 3wd, missing the pass axle shaft.
The next go around I not only welded the dust cap on but also welded a large metal washer on top of that....it lasted quite a while like 13 years. I kept blowing out springs though, they would get so smashed up in there that sometimes the axleshaft would come out and a new spring was needed.
Not anymore!
Many people who have also gone down this path have found a better way. Instead of running the spring inside the slip yoke, we use a shaft collar and run the spring outside the slip yoke. Brilliant! So when I saw this I had ordered the parts to make it so. Forward to the first day of 2020 when I was just driving out of here in the show...."whap whap whap" I hear with the hubs locked...I know that sound. The axle shaft is loose....sure enough lets get her up on the lift!!

Something is not right LOL
171_031009_280000000.jpg

The spring is trying to leave the facility
171_031009_280000001.jpg

Whoopsies dust cap go bye bye
171_031009_280000002.jpg

So time for some new parts, Spicer high clearance U joints, the new shaft collar and spring, new spindle bearings and seals, etc......
171_031009_290000004.jpg

tooooooo easy with a lift! You know how many times I have had this TTB apart over the years? About 500 times..........so now with a lift I am like loving this.......
171_031009_290000003.jpg

the old spring has been sprung its last time
171_031020_510000000.jpg

Custom Spicer axle shaft is 2-3" longer then a factory axle shaft for a dana 35, this is how we make up for the additional width (track width) built into my TTB beams
New shaft collar and spring will reside outside the slip yoke now
171_031020_510000001.jpg

171_031020_510000004.jpg

171_031020_510000002.jpg

newness
171_031020_510000003.jpg

Time to clean parts and press U joints, I will probably paint the front beams again, keep the surface rust at bay....... long live the TTB!!!

Lets see how long these parts will last. This is the first time I have used this type of spindle/ bearing seal its a spicer kit made for the 93-97 D35 ttb, slightly different then what I am used to

The only real issue I have had with that style C clip eliminator is the spring pushes the axle outwards. This causes the spline tooth washer to rub and cut a groove into it against the end of the spindle tube when the hub is locked. I have had to replace those washers a few times over the years. They are not an easy part to find either!

Getting a boot to last on there isn't easy either. lol

yes I have a few of the metal splined washers, I flip them over when one side gets worn, then I flip them from pass side to drivers and run the worn one on the drivers side until it needs to be replaced

My friend Brett has a ARB in his d35 ttb carrier says its a jeep D35 ARB and he has provisions for the E clip??? WTF? Of course he forgets he sold me this ARB locker many many years ago LOL its the non c clip style....

Anywho I prepped the beams and cleaned all the parts, pressed out the old joints and spindle bearings...now ready to re assemble
Getting the new spring over the axle shaft was interesting, it does not want to go on their easily...I eventually got it using a vice opened up enough to allow the axle shaft through but not the spring.

I had to replace two of my parts, the inner axle shaft on the drivers side yoke is fubar, not enough clearance anymore for the U joint C clip and the slip yoke piece from the pass side got *****ed up pretty badly. Lucky for me I keep a tote full of TTB spares for my BII as the D35 TTB stuff is getting harder to find.

I do like this new one piece spindle seal...it works great compared to the old rubber washer seal and plastic cone washer/spacer setup...pics of this coming

It is SO NICE having a lift and parts washer....one more large appliance I am after in 2020 is a waste oil heater, otherwise I am extremely happy with the new shop and upgrades!
I need to get this SOB done today so I can get to working on the 07 ranger...she is coming over to bay one ASAP

171_041048_300000000.jpg

171_041048_300000002.jpg

171_041048_300000001.jpg

I found out that there are 2 styles of spindle seals, and one doesn't let the axle fit right as it pushes out too far. It chewed up the spline washer in a few miles. Drove me batshit figuring that one out.

I wish arb or OX made a unit for the sla d35, I would have one in the 2nd gen right now if they did. The lunch box in there now, has to come out, and replaced with some kind of good LS unit made for it. Need it now I have the off road trailer.

The parts washer is handy, wish I had one of those, and a blast cabinet too! Lol

had to modify the spindle bearing puller slightly so it would actually catch the bottom of the bearing and pull it out
171_042046_210000000.jpg

171_042046_210000001.jpg

press new Spicer in made in USA
171_042046_210000002.jpg

171_042056_030000000.jpg

had to make a tool so the factory boot will slip over the new lock collar
171_042046_210000004.jpg

Then took it back off to make adjustments, i want to flex the suspension to adjust the spring right where I want it...then I will install boot and probably have to make a new 2 piece boot to cover the whole apparatus
At least we know it will stretch over the aluminum collar if needed
171_042046_210000003.jpg

Also I removed the dust seal from the slip yoke slip yoke end, the spring would just end up chewing it up quickly, we want the spring to press on hard metal not a soft seal

mostly back together, just have to grease the wheel bearings and clean up the brake parts......
171_042056_030000000.jpg

Nice job

Looks good 410! I doubt I'll ever take the TTB to the limits you have here, but the info you have got here can still feed my fantasies :D. When I put the 4.10's in Stripe I'm going to see if I can find a good limited slip for the front. Unless I'm mud slinging (NEVER again!) that's the most I will ever need.

Thank you
The spring setup is working great!! It took two attempts to get the spring and locking collar in the correct spot.
I was pressed for time to finish this up so I did not get more pictures, but I did build some plastic inner fender guards to keep cold water off the engine, re pack the wheel bearings, rotate the tires and change the oil. 5.5 quarts of valvoline 5W-30 full synthetic and a Motocraft FL1a filter
The Bronco is back in service, good thing too because our road is a total disaster right now....we have had a bunch of snow followed by a bunch of rain and warm weather (30-40's) so the road has huge piles of slush on both sides but the middle has dropped out. So the best way in and out for us right now is the FJ cruiser and the Bronco II......huge storm coming this weekend this should get interesting. Had to remove about 15 down trees from the road and we have lots of TSH (truck swallowing holes) this is where the water is running underneath our ice bed and causes huge water bars across the road you have to drop into, cross, and climb out of....The road is part ice, part water and mostly slush and mud......yikes. This is all part of our daily commute in and out of here :) THIS is why I have long travel, TTB (independent suspension), air lockers and big tires.....
I will get some pics of the final setup, snow and our adventures!
Now back to other projects, I have two Rangers in the shop and a sport trac............

Well my old exhaust from the downpipes back was in sorry shape. My muffler had developed a rust hole in the middle a few years back....too many short trips in Colorado, the water collects in your muffler and rust happens. The tailpipe also rusted out, the mounts etc.
This exhaust was installed in 2005 when I went V8 by my good friend Chuck in Denver Colorado
Flo pro muffler and tailpipe went bye bye
I was really tired of the rear exit setup anyways.

I have had this wild boar stainless 2-1 muffler for about 7 years now, knowing this day would come.
It is winter and I dang near drive her everyday
after ripping out the rusty stuff I threw together an exhaust with parts I had lying around

Right now it has a 3" dump way in front of the rear axle
It sounds wicked good, throaty, but with the dump being under the truck it is super loud and sometimes drones on the highway....

I will build a side exit tailpipe in the spring to quiet her back down....

Otherwise she's still going strong pretty much 4 wheeling everyday commuter

171_101737_550000000.jpg

171_101737_550000001.jpg

Dual 2.5" inlet, single 3" outlet or vise versa can flow both directions. Wild Boar mufflers are good quality and sound for the price

much smaller then the old Flo Pro which is good, that old thing use to rub on the frame

171_101737_550000002.jpg

add some good mild steel 2.5" pipe and stock bolt up 5.0 flanges
Used a 3" hanger to build the rear support hanger using stock BII location still

171_101737_550000003.jpg

Worked out pretty well!

171_101737_550000004.jpg

171_101742_300000000.jpg

171_101742_310000001.jpg

back to work!
171_101742_310000002.jpg

It's too bad exhaust rots out.
The B2 is still looking great.
It's rough living when you get to 4wheel out of your driveway in the winter. Love it.

Bronco ii back in the shop

I used 4wd so much this winter it ate another u joint and a splined washer.
Cannot buy the 27 spline washer anymore or the 3 piece setup from the 96-97 ranger
Junk yard for me, I need to collect as many of those washers as I can

I ordered all new wheel bearings and some u joints again, no biggie.

My skyjacker 6 coil springs are worn out, they have seen years of abuse so I ordered new ones. I was hoping to find some 8” coils but they no longer make them? Skyjacker coils are 410 psi perfect for my truck. I run 6” coil with f150 spring seats and my beams ait
Level… however the truck is sitting low, with a v8 and winch,
Old coils…Well let’s see what new coils will do

I also ordered a ruffstuff rear axle u bolt eliminator kit that will allow me to move my rear axle back 1-1.5”. I run skyjacker 6”’leaf springs and a beltech shackle, no blocks. My 35” tire is too close to the fiberglass so I’m moving it back to clear.

Should get me by for another 3-4 mud/snow seasons while I build my sport trac. Once the trac is done the bii is getting a frame off

Bronco ii back in the shop

I used 4wd so much this winter it ate another u joint and a splined washer.
Cannot buy the 27 spline washer anymore or the 3 piece setup from the 96-97 ranger
Junk yard for me, I need to collect as many of those washers as I can

I ordered all new wheel bearings and some u joints again, no biggie.

My skyjacker 6 coil springs are worn out, they have seen years of abuse so I ordered new ones. I was hoping to find some 8” coils but they no longer make them? Skyjacker coils are 410 psi perfect for my truck. I run 6” coil with f150 spring seats and my beams ait
Level… however the truck is sitting low, with a v8 and winch,
Old coils…Well let’s see what new coils will do

I also ordered a ruffstuff rear axle u bolt eliminator kit that will allow me to move my rear axle back 1-1.5”. I run skyjacker 6”’leaf springs and a beltech shackle, no blocks. My 35” tire is too close to the fiberglass so I’m moving it back to clear.

Should get me by for another 3-4 mud/snow seasons while I build my sport trac. Once the trac is done the bii is getting a frame off
I think I have a pile of those splined washers in my toolbox, I’ll take a look for ya!

I think I have a pile of those splined washers in my toolbox, I’ll take a look for ya!
woahhh!!!! guess whos back!!! (or at least i havent seen posts in a while) is it just me or are we seeing a reusrgance in old time members

It's too bad exhaust rots out.
The B2 is still looking great.
It's rough living when you get to 4wheel out of your driveway in the winter. Love it.
Cool Bronco II. I actually got my Ex 4x4 to get out of my parking spot in the winter. It's on the shoulder of a road here in town. Plow gets to my street LAST and plows up nice ice banks for me to cross, LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

woahhh!!!! guess whos back!!! (or at least i havent seen posts in a while) is it just me or are we seeing a reusrgance in old time members
LOL, Life is pretty busy these days & I sold my last Explorer in 2014, but I saw an email notification from Jamie & was thinking “I bet I have some of those shafts & washers laying around.”

There is a very special group of members in this forum that I’ve had some epic times on the trail & around the campfire!

Back