410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try it and see if it would. I am definatly interested.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Glad my install will be alot more simpler :p

410Fortune said:
Because they think people who want an F-150 t case only want it to replace an F-150 t case
Not smart, just leave them attached!
So trick is to find private party, or right place right time, find Exped or truck about to hit the yard.

Where did you buy this? Ford?
see I havent checked your thread....argh! no time yet.....

I found my linkage on a transmission- ask them if it is still on the trans at the yard.

Speedo sensor research:

I found this:
BW 1356 plastic speed sensor drive gear for 1356 output shaft:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-31675_speedo_driven_gear__7_tooth__yellow_.htm
1356SPEEDOGEAR.JPG

1356 output with yellow drive gear:
1356splitcase.gif

I have been searching for a picture of a 1356 tail housing with the cable style speed sensor installed, no picture yet but I do show it listed with this type output shaft on several t case rebuilder websites.

I also found a Ford 4x4 Van conversion where they mentioned adding the cable drive style speed sensor to a 1356 without it originally.

I believe I can make a 1356 tailhousing with sensor a bolt in deal for my converison, retaining my 96 speed sensor, since the 4406 output shaft is about 3" longer, an adapter ring and the addition of the plastic drive gear on the output shaft may be all that is required.

I will have to find these parts and mock it up :)

Check out what I found on Ebay Link

e0_1.jpg

Compared to yours

tcase3.jpg

thats how mine looked. Same shiat, no ring inside.Is the ring slipped on or pressed on?

its a press on and you can order replacements for $7 check the bronco graveyard

I need a 97-98 4406 tailhousing baby, excellent find! I checked all over ebay the other day.....
I believe I can buy this tailhousing new for about $130

couldnt you just drill it out?

Nah its in a different spot, the stator style sensor I have is directly over the output shaft and the gear driven type is off to the side so the gear can ride on top of the shaft....it would be alot of fab to try and modify my tailhousing to put th egear for the VSS in the exact right spot.

SELL Me that T-CASE!!!!!!!!

I got 200$ shipped

buy that one on ebay...put in 200 for the hell of it

410s already bidding on it, I dont want to start a bidding war.

may i ask jamie why your bidding on this case?

um its a good deal and trust me it would get used out here :)
I did not meet the reserve though, also my bid is less then that tailhousing would cost me from a rebuilder.

410Fortune said:
Nah its in a different spot, the stator style sensor I have is directly over the output shaft and the gear driven type is off to the side so the gear can ride on top of the shaft....it would be alot of fab to try and modify my tailhousing to put th egear for the VSS in the exact right spot.

i finally saw what you meant.

it just pisses me off why ford has the damn speedo sensor in there but no gear to spin it!

Well my best guess would be the plastic gear from your case came off or something, it would make no sense from the factory to have a VSS with a gear on it and no drive ear on the output shaft.

Did you remove the tailhousing and look inside?

no i havent. I'll do that when i get home in december (argh laying down on the ground in 30* weather to do this) Was it just those 8 or 10 bolts holding the tailshaft on?

410 read post 56

Back