Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Thats right! I missed almost all of 2006, I have not really been 4x4ing since I moved back from CA and started my 5.0L conversion over 1.5 years ago.
Well tomorrow I am going wheeling!!!

I have spent some time getting the BII ready for mild trail duty, her transformation into 100% toy has begun.

There have been 3 issues that have kept me from wheeling in 06:

1. the Ron Davis radiator I used for my conversion gave up the ghost with a major leak that cannot be fixed. BG cooling system stop leak has been getting me by, as I needed the BII to be my daily driver while I finished my Explorer project. The Ron Davis radiator is still in the truck, but I do have a new Be Cool unit that will be going in soon. The BG stop leak will be sufficient for this day trip. This $550 radiator was the reason I missed Moab 06 :fire: :fire:

2. My rear end blew up.
Early 06 I blew up my 8.8. It seems the shop that installed my 4.10 Precision gears and rebuilt my factory limited slip about 3 years ago screwed it up. The ring gear lost a bunch of teeth and I had to replace everything. I took the opportunity to install an ARB, this time we went with Yukon gears and I used the best damn gear setup guy in Colorado. The $1000+ set me back quite a bit. The rear diff also was leaking quite a bit up until yesterday, after two attempts with silicoln I could not get the leak to stop, so yesterday I installed a gasket and silicoln, no more leak.

3. 5.0L Bugs
I was still working out bugs from my conversion. 99% of the bugs have been destroyed. The only thing left is a pesky transmission range sensor code and an 02 sensor code. I actually believe these to be the fault of the PCM (needs a re-flash), this can wait a bit longer.

So now that the Explorer is running reliably and has taken over daily duties I finally got to pay some attention to the BII, and this is just the start. This winter she is going into the shop for stage III of the buildup, or basically transformation into 100% trail rig.
This week I fixed the rear diff leak, removed both sway bars, built a new shroud to protect my air filter from water/mud/dirt. I went over the chasis with a fine tooth comb, I lubed everything, I adjusted the floor shifter, I re-packed/re torqued the wheel bearings and she is ready to go wheeling.

So I will get some pictures of tomorrows trip, nothing major just a test run. If she passes with flying colors I will be joining the small Explorer group on Labor day weekend for the Salida run :)

This is the first time EVER the truck has not had sway bars installed (I had disconnects before), I know its not a big deal but it signifies to me that she is no longer my daily driver after 11+ years of service.
You could not ask for a better truck!

Next week I plan to install my new Be Cool radiator with an electric fan :)
The radiator support requires some modifications to make this work....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea right. We've heard that before! :p

Which nightmare are we talking about here?

The web wheeler claiming to go actually wheeling, or the photochop's he's going to post up?

oh brother, you see I hardly believe it myself thats why I made a thread! I was working on the BII yesterday and then drove it and I was thinking, oh man I am actualyl driving it!!

I have GPS and yes I know these trails very well :) hahahah I even packed my come a long just in case something happens........dayum doubters :)
The BII was wheeling when your trucks were mere thoughts in a Ford tech's head!

10 bucks says he doesn't even make to the trail head!

410Fortune said:
I have GPS and yes I know these trails very well :) hahahah I even packed my come a long just in case something happens........
You're going alone? :nono:
If you had mentioned this a few days ago I would have joined you. :D

yes alone, however there will be many trucks up in this area on a busy weekend there always are. I am doing Slaughterhouse Gultch in the AM then going back to my fav local spot in Buffalo Creek (where I found that torched BII in the mine shaft a few years back, also where I went wheeling for the first time after my 5.0L conversion)
These are mild mild trails, I will bypass the hairy sections...I am taking the GF with me, her first time ever wheeling, heck she has a hard time just riding in the BII on the highway hahaha I said just wait till next year when there are no doors!

Jefe is you would make that drive then you should come out for labor day weekend and Salida, I have never been to Mirror lake or done Iron Chest, but I hear its worth it....

forecast calls for rain all weekend, starting now apparently...perfect for wheeling makes A trails into C trails !!!
b2mud.jpg

410Fortune said:
forecast calls for rain all weekend, starting now apparently...perfect for wheeling makes A trails into C trails !!!
b2mud.jpg

I was up in the White mountains of Co. in the 70s with my Land Cruiser after some rain. That dry dusty road turned into the slickest stuff I've ever been in. It was slicker then two eels a friggen in a bucket of snot.

Kinda like the goo on my tires in that pic :)
It gets real interesting when you put it on top of rocks mixed with patches of melting snow....yup Colorado wheelin!

Add me to the list of skeptics! :p ;)

A few photos will change our minds. Make sure the girl is is some pics, or we will assume she is imaginary! :D

First time with your girlfriend, let her drive.

What is your GF's name? Lucy, or Rosy? Does she have 5 friends?

tdavis said:
What is your GF's name? Lucy, or Rosy? Does she have 5 friends?

I'm guessing it's Rosy as in Rosy Palms...ah thank you very much :p But seriously, I bet it feels good to get out and go wheelin' again :thumbsup: It was killing me when my truck was down for all those months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

post pics as soon as you get back, i want to see that thing in action

Back