• Register Today It's free!

4404-4406 T'case swap question.

coonerboy

Reaction score
City, State
Herkimer, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8
Is it really necessary to remove the interior(carpet, console, seats) just to get to the panel that will allow access to the top 2 transfer case bolts. Could the two bolts be reached if the tranny crossmember was lowered?

I understand I am likely still gonna want to do that in order to cut the whole in the floor for the shifting lever, but is there another way to get to those 2 bolts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it really necessary to remove the interior(carpet, console, seats) just to get to the panel that will allow access to the top 2 transfer case bolts. Could the two bolts be reached if the tranny crossmember was lowered?

I understand I am likely still gonna want to do that in order to cut the whole in the floor for the shifting lever, but is there another way to get to those 2 bolts?

It may seem like it will take a lot of time, but to be honest it is about 1/2 hour to remove these items, and, for me made the job a lot quicker and less frustrating. It will also allow you access when it comes time to connect and route the transfer case vent tube to up under the hood.

yea when i did mine i took the interior out and the two blot where just stearing me in the face lol easy as pie. but u can get then with a stubby its just much harder. if u have a body lift it makes it 1000 times easyer the second one i did on my truck ( i swoped t cases with boominexplorer) i had mine out in 20 min and his out in shorter.

ooo and make shoure your 4406 is the right one . there are 2 different ones.the speedos are the only difference. if your speedo is in the tail shaft u can only use one if the two. if u dont both will work.

Mine is a '98 so I don't think the speed sensor is an issue. Biggest issue is getting the linkage..Had to spend $200 at the dealer for it. That includes the boot, knob and all levers.. Also gotta track down a weatherpack wiring connector for the indicator light switch. Looks like i'll be doing this next weekend though. Already got a buddy of mine who will help.

Back