4405 to 1354-E swap sensor questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4405 to 1354-E swap sensor questions

feedthezombie

Reaction score
City, State
Clintwood, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer XLT
I've already got everything out and ready to stuff the 1354 in everything is wired up but the older T-case has a 2 wire speed sensor and just one. The 4405 appears to have 2 sensors that are 3 wire. The old t-case had a gear/cable that maybe ran the speedo at one point... so what can i do to ensure my speedo is going to work using the sensor in the t-case?

Heres some pics of the differences just in the sensors as well as where the ones were located.

I'm not doing a GEM swap i plan to "manually" switch the motor into positions utilizing a double throw rocker and some relays to direct the extra power. I looked around didn't see anybody really address the sensor much, there was talk about the brown wire etc.. but i just want to do as much wiring while its off prior to bolting it up.

Thanks for the help

Location's on 4405

DSCF1897.JPG

DSCF1898.JPG

Location's on 1354

senor in
DSCF1899.JPG

senors out showing 3 wire vs 2 wire
DSCF1904.JPG

Speedo cable area

DSCF1900.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn sorry for the huge pics

Those 3 wire sensors are only for the electronic 4 wheel drive shift, you get your speed signal for the speedometers from the two wire sensor in the back near the output shaft

there was no 2 wire sensor on the 4405... the older 1354 has a 2 wire. Are you talking about a sensor on the rear of the transmission?

nevermind i just found my answer from alldata

"The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS ) has been deleted for 1998. The vehicle speed signal is generated by the rear anti-lock brake sensor and sent to the 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (4WABS ) module. The 4WABS module sends the vehicle speed signal via circuit 679 (GY/BK) to all systems which require a vehicle speed signal input."

thanks for the help guys i just wanted to make sure before stuffing it all back in!

Back