Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 4Runner, 22 Silverado
Alright guys, I need some info. I know the BG 4405 on the 97 Explorer is not compatible with 98-01 but how about 95-96? Apparently there is no VSS on the 98-01 models but how about the 95-96 models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, all the 4405s up till 98 had VSS on them. :cool:

section525 said:
Yes, all the 4405s up till 98 had VSS on them. :cool:

Good now if only someone would donate their atlas or 1354 doubler :D

I've been saving the Atlas I have in the garage for a rainy day. But maybe I'll just send it to you. :p :p

I don't really have one though. :D

section525 said:
I've been saving the Atlas I have in the garage for a rainy day. But maybe I'll just send it to you. :p :p

I don't really have one though. :D

I volunteer Doug's :D

Have you seen the new stak 4x4 transfer cases? Very similar to the atlas and at a much better price, 1900 for the 2 speed if I remember correctly.

Section525's 4405 transfer case is the donor for the "ultimate 4405 rebuild diary" coming up.

According to Port, a co-worker of Spas, the only one I can use is a 97, since the 95-96 are different from what he has gathered looking up the info on their ford computers.

Well the shift motor wiring could be slightly different. All you would have to do is switch that too. I know we put a different year 4405 in my GF's old Sport. I just swapped the whole motor and it worked cherry.

Is there an assembly manual or diagram for the BW4405 transfer case? I'm stuck with a bad fork and sliding gear. The oil pickup tube apparently cracked also. After having my explorer sit a the shop for a week without any work done I've decided to tackle the repair and reassembly.

Also is there a torque guide, for those fasteners around the case. And what do the pinion mounts get torqued to, can this be done on the car in park without damaging anything?

I've looked for a rebuild diary but couldn't find one.

Thanks

Back