• Register Today It's free!

4406 question!

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
I have a 5.0 and AWD 97 Ex. If I do the 4406 conversion, will this effect my speedo? As in, will it make it read higher or lower in 2H or 4H? Just a question I would like answered. Or is 2H and 4H 1:1. Someone edumacate me please! I am also going to do 4.10's soon. I currently have 3.73's. I checked how accurate they were with my 31" tires using mile markers over 5 miles. At the fifth mile mark, my trip read 4 miles and 7/10. So, spinning a little slow.

It will not. Read up on some of the 4406 conversion threads. Since you're lucky enough to have a 96 or 97, you can change the speedo gear to get an accurate reading no matter what axle ratio or tires you go with. They're cheap.

I believe that your speed sensor is in the transfercase, so you will have to find a 4406 with the speed sensor in the tail housing, then matching the appropriate drive gear in it to correct any accuracy issues you have.

By reading the speed of the output shaft, the PCM (or is it the ECM..doesnt matter for this explanation) will calculate the resulting speed of the vehicle. It does not matter if it is in hi or low range because it reads the rotation of the output shaft.
Its all a mathematical equation.

If you had the speed sensor in the rear diff, changing transfercases will have no effect on the speedometer accuracy as the sensor calculates the speed by the revolutions of the ring gear. In this case the only way to correct an incorrect reading on the speedo is with a "flash" or rewrite of the algorithm that determines what your speedo will read given a specific ring gear speed.

Ok that answers my question! So, it reads the speed at the Rear of transfercase. Thanks

Back