• Register Today It's free!

4406 Swap Issues

Bronco Guy

Reaction score
City, State
Bothell, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 4.0
I'm having some issues with my BW4406 install that have me stumped. The 4406 and driveshafts are installed. I have not been able to source the suggested lower t-case shift linkage, so I bought the Dorman 600-603 which looks identical to the suggested one and also lists compatibility for a 2000 F150 with V8, auto trans and manual t-case. The issue that I'm having is that the t-case is not behaving and shifting the way I think it should. First things first, I did absolutely nothing with the auto trans linkage. The vehicle is up on jackstands at the moment so I can check and see when I'm in and out of 4wd. So the 2-3 main issues that I'm having are I put the transmission in neutral and then get the t-case into neutral, I can't shift the transmission back into Park (sounds like trying to put it in Park while traveling 20 mph) and also can't put the t-case into any gear for the same grinding/spinning issues. The 2nd issue is that if I have it in 2H, it WILL NOT shift on the fly to 4H. I have to put on the brakes, get the wheels to stop, put the transmission in neutral and then with the brakes on, put the t-case into 4H. And lastly, it WILL NOT shift out of 4H without coming to a complete stop, even with the shifter in the 2H position without putting the transmission into reverse and then letting the rear tires go in reverse which allows the front driveshaft to disengage. I have tried all of these things with 4 different center to center hole spacing on the link bar (I made 3 custom ones with different hole spacing) and also with the link bar completely disconnected and just activating the t-case without the shifter attached. I've been trying to get it to behave the way I think it should for the last week off and on, but it just isn't working the way it should. My latest attempt was getting the t-case in the known 4H position, putting the shifter in the 4H notch, measuring for the link bar length, making one and then installing it and getting the same result. If I start in 2H, it won't shift to 4H with the rear wheels moving, if it gets into neutral in both the t-case and transmission, I have to turn off the engine to get thing to quit spinning so I can get the t-case back into a gear. I'm starting to think that there might be a problem with the t-case? The tag on it does say 4406.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your transmission is in "N", and also the t-case is in "N", the output shaft of the trans. may still spin (nothing to hold it), this is normal. "P" does absolutely nothing if the t-case is in "N", the parking pawl will bounce off the notches in the parking pawl and make noise if the engine is running, so to avoid this, make sure the t-case is in either 2H or 4H, and the wheels stopped before moving the transmission selector to "P". As for the other issue, ???

He is working to get his 4406 t case ****t
Linkage adjusted properly then I’m guessing these issues will go away. We have shared some pictures over email to help him sort out the linkage / Dorman shifter issues

If your transmission is in "N", and also the t-case is in "N", the output shaft of the trans. may still spin (nothing to hold it), this is normal. "P" does absolutely nothing if the t-case is in "N", the parking pawl will bounce off the notches in the parking pawl and make noise if the engine is running, so to avoid this, make sure the t-case is in either 2H or 4H, and the wheels stopped before moving the transmission selector to "P". As for the other issue, ???

He is working to get his 4406 t case ****t
Linkage adjusted properly then I’m guessing these issues will go away. We have shared some pictures over email to help him sort out the linkage / Dorman shifter issues

I agree now that the neutral-neutral situation is normal and expected and should be avoided. I found an older post from MountaineerGreen from 2007 that described that exact issue and having to shut off the engine to get things back into gear again. And I feel like an idiot, but I think I may understand the issue with difficulties getting in and out of 2H and 4H. One of my Bronco buddies pointed out that while the vehicle is on jack stands, the front wheels are not rolling in unison with the rear wheels and therefore the shift on the fly feature won't work as intended and the t-case behaves more like an old school manual t-case where you have to come to a stop to get it in and out of 4wd. I've never owned or operated a vehicle with an auto trans and manual t-case and it just didn't dawn on me. I've owned a V6 Explorer with the electric shift t-case and an old Bronco with a manual D20, but not the combo I'm installing now. I was just wanting to make sure things were working right and adjusted before taking it off the jack stands and things just weren't working as they should be and I was getting irritated, frustrated and not thinking it through. It snowed here today so I'll give it a try on the snow/ice to see if it's going in and out of 2H and 4H.

I agree now that the neutral-neutral situation is normal and expected and should be avoided. I found an older post from MountaineerGreen from 2007 that described that exact issue and having to shut off the engine to get things back into gear again. And I feel like an idiot, but I think I may understand the issue with difficulties getting in and out of 2H and 4H. One of my Bronco buddies pointed out that while the vehicle is on jack stands, the front wheels are not rolling in unison with the rear wheels and therefore the shift on the fly feature won't work as intended and the t-case behaves more like an old school manual t-case where you have to come to a stop to get it in and out of 4wd. I've never owned or operated a vehicle with an auto trans and manual t-case and it just didn't dawn on me. I've owned a V6 Explorer with the electric shift t-case and an old Bronco with a manual D20, but not the combo I'm installing now. I was just wanting to make sure things were working right and adjusted before taking it off the jack stands and things just weren't working as they should be and I was getting irritated, frustrated and not thinking it through. It snowed here today so I'll give it a try on the snow/ice to see if it's going in and out of 2H and 4H.
I did the quick snow and ice drive and it seems to be working fine. Glad that was all that was going on with it. Lesson learned. Don't test functionality of that setup on jack stands. BTW, the link bar distance that worked out with the Dorman 600-603 shifter was a little over 4.30" compared to the one that came on the t-case that was 5.25".

Simple question, did you step on the brake pedal before trying to shift into park?

Back