4406 Swap, whats the electromagnet for???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4406 Swap, whats the electromagnet for????

DieselHilux

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford contour
So I started sourcing parts for my 4406 swap, I bought a MANUAL shift 4406 from a 97 F150 (has the speed sensor) to swap into my 97 mountaineer.

I tried shifting it and it seems to work properly, HOWEVER I was looking at the t-case and aside from the indicator light switch, there is another one wire connector coming out the back.

I pulled up a wireing diagram at work and it appears that the manual case has an electromagnetc clutch in it like the electronic ones do.

What is its purpose and is it needed??? When I shifted it manually it seems to shift itno 4x4 without applying power to it, and others have swapped in a 4406 and made no mention of connecting this to anything???

In the diagram, said electromagnetic clutch is controlled by the GEM, via a relay.

Does this have something to do with the fact that F150's have a CAD in the front axle??? It says in the description it is to bring the front driveline up to speed when shifting into 4x4.

Doesnt pulling the lever accomplish the same thing?????

I am confused.....................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ran into the same problem with mine. it allows you to "shift on the fly", or engage the transfer case when your moving, otherwise you can only shift into 4x4 when your stopped. it supposedly needs just one pulse and it is good. i haven't hooked mine up as of yet, but i will get to it some day.

OHHHHHHH Ok, Well that makes more sense then.

I can not believe no one else said anything about this?!?!?

And yes you are correct, it is not PWM it appears to be an on off kind of thing, although I would think you wouldhave to supply it with power constantly through a relay when in 4X4.

One last question, without powering said electromagnet, 4X4 high and low still work assuming you stop to engage it???

whats the part number you have for the tcase? Im going to be doing the swap soon too (also manual) and from the sounds of it id rather not have to mess around with this

OHHHHHHH Ok, Well that makes more sense then.

I can not believe no one else said anything about this?!?!?

And yes you are correct, it is not PWM it appears to be an on off kind of thing, although I would think you wouldhave to supply it with power constantly through a relay when in 4X4.

One last question, without powering said electromagnet, 4X4 high and low still work assuming you stop to engage it???

yes. if the wire isnt hooked up, you still can get 4 hi, and low, but you need to be at a complete stop

whats the part number you have for the tcase? Im going to be doing the swap soon too (also manual) and from the sounds of it id rather not have to mess around with this

no sure, but mine was from a 97 f150 ex. cab short box

Yea same here from a 97 F150 reg cab long box 4.6 V8 and 4R70W.

Had to go with a 97 due to me needing the VSS because I have a 97 mountaineer

Thats news to me also..as I am currently sourcing parts for our 98 explorer 5.0. Im glad you brought this up just in case months down the road, I have the swap done, and wife takes it to work, and needs 4x4 while rolling, and just yanks the lever..could be catastrophic yes/no?

no. if your rolling, and pull the shifter, nothing will happen. or at least nothing happen with mine. i tried it (not at a fast speed, around 60km's, or i think around 40 mph for you guys) and nothing went grind, bang smash..

no. if your rolling, and pull the shifter, nothing will happen. or at least nothing happen with mine. i tried it (not at a fast speed, around 60km's, or i think around 40 mph for you guys) and nothing went grind, bang smash..
whew..lol..good to know..would hate for wife to grenade parts and call me and say.."hmm..the truck went bang..and stopped"..lol

I had no such wire and could shift on the fly --I think mine was a 99 transfer case

The only wires I connected were for the shift indicator.

Back