4406 swap with 4" superlift - front DS questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4406 swap with 4" superlift - front DS questions

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Looking to put together a 98 X... thinking about doing the 4406 swap and going with a 4" superlift.

couple questions which i didnt really come across in all the great 4406 swap info.

I have read that the stock Explorer DS doesnt last to long with the 4" superlift and superlift recommends swapping to their driveshaft. WHAT ABOUT THE EXPEDITION front drive shaft with the 4406 conversion with a superlift. Will this live longer or will i need a custom double cardan driveshaft made?

Also, i have read that with the install of the 4406 TC, a 3" body lift really helps... what about a 1" or 2" body lift? Is there enough clearance for the 4406? Not sure whos running one without any body lift.

thanks and sorry if this has been address, just didnt see anything on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most with superlift and 4406 have done a double cardon front shaft. I did mine with a 1st gen shaft with a different flange at the tcase. I don't have a part number but it was only like $70 for the flange.

Boomin- any idea on who made the flange?

Worms- thanks for the link!

Mountaineergreen's truck had no body lift. My present truck doesn't. You may or may not need to create some floorboard clearance as pictured in the how to thread but it will fit fine with no body lift.

Back