4door Explorer VS Explorer Sport?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4door Explorer VS Explorer Sport??

I love my sport, but the back seat is usless

Throwing my two cents in...

I have an '01 Sport and make no mistakes, I love it! Now, most of the time I am hauling around solo or with one passenger. I use it to camp out of with my GF and have pulled a trailer with no problems (flat bed utility trailer). I drive it like it's a mustang and I love the way it feels in the corners. I'm not doing any rock crawling... most of my driving is on the pavement, but about 20% is trail.

My only complaint... I too have the power drivers seat, so the only way to the back is over the passenger seat. A serious pain in the ass for anyone other than a 10 year old kid.

Maybe my next one will be a 4 door... but I am driving this one into the ground first!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought an 02 sport (first car) last year over the 4 dr mostly because of the deal. After owning it for a year and doing varous mods I wouldn't buy another sport. Mods seem to be more complicated than its worth, its hard getting the right parts being an odd model with some aspects being like the previous vintage and others the newer. I don't often need to use the back seat for people which was a factor in buying it but the extra convenience of the 4dr is noticeable.

Sports Forever.....

Check my sig for the numerous mods done to my Sport.
It's used exclusively for commuting, so handling is more
important to me, and it now handles almost as well
as the Mustangs I've owned in the past.

Granted, the 4 drs have more room and easier
back seat access. But when compared to Mustangs and
other small cars, the Sports are absolutely huge and are
a good compromise for hauling, handling, parking ease, and
just all-around use.

Another viewpoint...

This is my first Explorer as I used to do a lot of Ranger engine conversions.. I bought this 99 Sport cheap to drop a v8 from my test mule Ranger into the engine bay...

Since the truck didn't run I had to find out why...When I did, I discovered that the engine was fine[internally filthy from lack of maintenance] but I have put 11k on this truck in about 9 months...

I drive this vehicle 100% on pavement..Occasionally I need to hit beach sand if I am chasing someone but as a road vehicle it is not bad...I do have the back seat area filled with radio and light equipment but I do not plan on using it to carry more than 1 person...That is why I have my Dodge Charger...

Now I would like a newer Explorer with the 4.6 liter and the 6 speed auto but the Sport did not benefit from that technology...

So if I run across a later model 4 dr realy cheap, it will follow me home and then it will be converted to a 2dr with a factory V8!!! I want the additional room to store and haul stuff and I do believe the 4dr. ride is a bit better than the 2 dr Sport is...

Now I need to find a home for the 7 ltr v8...Not that I need it but I have my eye on a 1970 Torino fastback that is in a boneyard and need front end work....

01 sport

I have an 01 sport and im a chevy guy but i love this damn explorer she likes to get all kinds of sideways on dry pavement every now and again not something ud expect from a little explorer but she gets wild from time to time! Only complants is that i have to replace tierod ends every year and my lock mechanisims are crazy ####in retarded! Anyways imma get to my point what is the difference between tail lights on the sport and the regular explorer because i backed into something and destroyed my passenger side tail light and found a set but they say just explorer and nothing about explorer sport? Thanks yall!:usa:

I have both a 2000 Sport and 98 4-door, both 4.0 OHV and both 5-speed.

I prefer the 4-door - better ride and better utility (although the Sport has a surprisingly large rear seat and cargo space considering). It weighs a bit more and has a larger turning circle but these are minor negatives.

Plus, if I were to get another Explorer, I would definitely get the V8, which is unavailable with the 2-door. It's more durable, much more powerful, comes with the best transmission, and has a more durable AWD system (compared to the Control-trac system on the V6 models). The fuel economy difference is small too.

Back