4door rear leaf springs on a '96 2 door sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4door rear leaf springs on a '96 2 door sport

DiscoStu

Reaction score
The problem I have (as do alot of other sport owners) is rear end sag. The obvious problem is the single leaf in the rear, as well as the big blocks Ford puts under the rearend with long shackles. Can I just go to my Ford dealer and ask him for '96 4 door towing package rear leaf springs, remove the rear blocks and shackles/ add 4 door shackles and be stylin'??? I would think that because the 4 door has a multi-leaf spring, and has mor weight on the rear tires the springs would be better suited for towing, etc.... Would this solution be better than adding even longer shackles and blocks, or a band-aid like add-a-leafs??
please help.

Welcome to the board DiscoStu. Are you a Simpsons watcher or did you get that name somewhere else.

Anyway back to your question. I used the OME springs to get rid of the sag and gain about 2" of lift. They are great springs a little pricey though. You can check them out at http://www.arb.com.au/.

I don't recall if anyone on the board has done what you are thinking of doing but in know this topic has been cover a lot. You should do a search and you will find a lot covering this topic.

Yup, Simpsons, and video games the S T U are always in a row and its the easyest and fastest name to spell. Buy the way, the Explorer has tons of mods but, DiscoStu doesn't advertise. hehehe

Back