4dr stock sub box fit in a sport?

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
im removing the stock sub box from a 95 eddie bauer. I was wondering if someone could verify that the box will fit a 97 sport. I know the jl stealth boxes, q logic, etc... are the same for 2 and 4 doors, but i searched on here and i couldnt find anyone who said tje stock one fits for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i used the stock sub box from a 4 door in my 2 door so yes it works.the box came from a 94 and it went into a 96.

ok thank you very much, i was hoping for a yes, as i already have the box out of the junk explorer. im in the process of finding a cheap amp, know any sites that have great prices?

ok thank you very much, i was hoping for a yes, as i already have the box out of the junk explorer. im in the process of finding a cheap amp, know any sites that have great prices?

What speaker and how much power do you want?

Well, i didnt have much to spend, i know everyone recommends the jl and a few other more expensive models. I got a good deal on an MA Audio sub: 200rms 400peak, 4 ohm dual voice coils. Im going to wire it up as a 2ohm into a monoblock amp and that should do the trick for me. The amp i believe has matching stats with a claimed 200rms and 400 peak.

Did you already buy an amp?

No, i only bought the sub already because i thought it was a good deal. I think i know the amp im getting, but im not really sure.

If you really really want that Blaupunkt amp, buy it from Crutchfield, use Crutchfield Referral Code : pjiqx-9kid5-1eryf for $20 off $200 for new customers (this one gives me some Crutchfield credit :thumbsup: ), or dig online for a coupon code if you are not a new customer...

amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V1pPtKNfFwg/p_028V108XT/Visonik-V108XT.html

Sub:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14044_MA+Audio+MA108XQ.html

The amp i picked up at my local auto parts store for 48 bucks. The wattage ratings match the sub i picked and it was a good price so i went for it. Its all wired up, sub should be in Friday and i hope to have it done Saturday by lunch as the rear panel is 90% out and the amp is already wired up.I just have to install the sub and wire it for 2ohms. Nether one are the best pieces audio equipment out there that's for sure, but i was on a fairly slim budget and it should fit my bill.

Ok, i am having a problem. I wired all the stereo equipment up(i have installed several systems before). I turn on the radio, and the sub i just installed is getting hardly any power or signal. It moves a little so i know it works. Its just not getting full power. I checked with a volt meter and the amp is getting about 14 volts from the battery. I wired a different speaker to the amp and its getting almost no power to it as well, and its all distorted. Ive checked all the wires and even tried to swap wires out for different ones. The ground has been checked. The only thing i can think of is the low level outputs on my head unit are shot. Is it possible that it would only send out a very weak distorted signal? I have a high level input jack for the amp, i figure thats the last thing i need to check before returning the amp. Im not sure exactly how to wire that up though. It has 3 wires on the adapter plug, what goes to what?

i looked, one wire is white, one is white with a black stripe and the one in the middle is black. I just want to hook it up as part of my trouble shooting, if it shows the line out on my stereo is bad i will buy a line converter. I just need to know what wires go to what, i had just thought one to the positive and negative speaker wires, but there is a 3rd wire.

Instead of using an adapter, use the high-level input on the amp. Same thing, less pieces. I assume the amp came with the plug to do so. Try it. It could be a bad amp, too (VERY possible).

thats what im going to do, i just cant figure out what wires go to what, it has 3 wires, i thought if it was mono it would have 2, if it was a 2 channel it would have 4. Its a new amp, but it could be bad amp i suppose

Ok. I wired it up via the speaker level inputs(the 3rd wire was a ground). It works now, so it seems the problem is the pre outs on my cheap JVC headunit that is only 5 months old. The problem is that in order to get it to hit, i have to turn the bass to max. That is fine except the speakers cant handle that bass, so i have to turn the bass down then i cannot hear the sub at all. Im still not sure its working 100% right. I am fairly unimpressed. I guess if i want to control the speakers and the sub's bass separate i need to get a new head unit.

Still cant figure this thing out. I need to check what the signal is coming from the head unit's pre outs. If that is good then i will have narrowed the amp down to being bad, If thats too low, then that is my problem. Does anyone know a ball park of what voltage i should be getting from the pre outs, and do i just put each prong of the multimeter in the plugs?

I jumped the gun on this one, sorry. I found the specs, its 2.5volts.

That sub is dual 4ohm voice coils. How are those wired to the amp? Series? Parallel?

That sub is dual 4ohm voice coils. How are those wired to the amp? Series? Parallel?

Its wired for 2 ohms. I figured it out. Since i have the factory amplifier still in place, and the after market head unit has a amplifier bulit in it too, the speakers are getting too much power. Its sending an amplified signal to the factory speaker amp. The head unit has 50 "clicks" of volume. I can only get it to 16 max with no bass turned on. That wasn't sending nearly enough signal to the sub amp via the preouts. When i unhooked the speakers and turned it up to about 30 and had the bass turned up the sub hit good. With that being said i am going to rewire the system to bypass the factory amp. I should then be able to turn the volume up louder and then the will get more power. Maybe while im at it get some new speakers that can handle more power. If any of that even makes sense, sounds to me like that is my problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back