vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
i am looking into buying a 03 sport trac that has timing chain issues. in my shed, i have the 98 SOHC motor that was in my explorer doing nothing (pulled it when i did the 5L swap). i am 98% sure the 98 SOHC motor will work in this, with changing the fuel rails, injectors, sensors, upper intake, and possibly the exhaust manifolds (which to me all is no big thing to change). is there anything i am missing, or is there more things that will have to be changed, or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im doin the same thing and with both motors on the stands side by side I have come to the same conclusion . Only difference is im goin in a 02 ex from a 98.

The basic engine is the same. Yeah, you'll have to swap most of the external stuff you listed. You will find that there is a freeze out plug in the valley on 1 motor, and the other has a breather. (I cant remember which one had which.)

The basic engine is the same. Yeah, you'll have to swap most of the external stuff you listed. You will find that there is a freeze out plug in the valley on 1 motor, and the other has a breather. (I cant remember which one had which.)

as in where the knock sensor is?

as in where the knock sensor is?

Yup, that would be the valley.

See the black box in the valley that the PCV hose attaches to? I've read that not all the SOHCs use the same setup.

finished%20rear.jpg

excellent! thank you very much for posting that pic. i will have to watch for that.

All in all yes your 98 in a 03 will work. You will remove the pcv box off the 98 motor and install a freeze plug. The knock sensor, valve covers and balancer will need to be swapped over from the 03 motor. The timing cover and oil pan are the same.

Back