• Register Today It's free!

4r44e rebuilt but now no reverse

Poorbucktoe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mazda B2500
hello all
I’m new. First post.
I just got done rebuilding a 4r44e in a 98 Mazda B2500. A full rebuild. Replaced
all bands
reverse drum
Valve body shift kit
All new solenoids
New wire harness
The reverse servo was in perfect condition I only replaced the o ring
Put in the 20 quarts of Mercon V
-2 quarts in the torque converter
-8 quarts in the transmission
I let the engine run for 30 min to operating temp
All gears work except reverse.
I even jacked up the rear and still no reverse
If Anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Double check the fluid level. Can’t follow your description of 20 quarts of fluid? The next thing to look at is the reverse servo missed the band. Very easy to do as the band will move out of place very easily without servo installed. Good luck.
Also what issues was it having to warrant a overhaul?

Oh sorry 10quarts not 20(typo)
I did have the servo in to hold the band in place.
If the reverse band did slip off is there a way to get it back on without dismantling the entire transmission?
If it is the servo (chipped etc). Is there a spring that goes on the reverse servo?
The atsg manual doesn’t mention it but all my visual parts lists show a spring
Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated

No spring on the servo. What shift kit did you install?

Transgo SK 4455E Shift Kit
If the reverse band slipped off is there a way to reset it without dismantling the entire trans

Also to answers your question about original problem.
Would not shift into any gear.
The OD drum was completely burned up
The center support hole was worn towards slight ovalness.
Timing ring warped
Reverse drum burned
Input shaft burned

See if you have engine braking in manual low, if it does then the low band is holding.

See if you have engine braking in manual low, if it does then the low band is holding.
Ok will do
If low band is holding but still doesn’t go in reverse
What do you think the problem is?

There’s apply oil and release oil on both sides of the servo piston. I don’t use the Transgo kits in this model transmission but I believe if you miss a step or don’t drill a correct size hole you will end up with no reverse. Maybe James has more insight on this. Did you install remanufactured torque converter when overhauled?

There’s apply oil and release oil on both sides of the servo piston. I don’t use the Transgo kits in this model transmission but I believe if you miss a step or don’t drill a correct size hole you will end up with no reverse. Maybe James has more insight on this. Did you install remanufactured torque converter when overhauled?

No I installed a brand new one

Sometimes converter gets used over and cooler and lines don’t get flushed well and debris finds its way back into transmission and will stick valves and cause many issues.

Sometimes converter gets used over and cooler and lines don’t get flushed well and debris finds its way back into transmission and will stick valves and cause many issues.

Just checked L1 manual engine braking gear
With truck rear jacked up. Did not go into gear.
So check me to see if I got this right:

-drop the pan take out the reverse servo:check stem and piston for chipping etc
(I did not replace servo or servo cover I did replace O rings and gasket)
-check reverse servo cover for warpage
-look in servo post hole to see if reverse band is
Is on anchor posts

Yes,drop pan and remove servo cover and servo. Find a fairly long Phillips screwdriver with a smaller shank diameter of the servo pin and push it up in the hole to see if it stops and has some resistance pushing back on it. If not you more than likely missed the band. Also you can look up through the hole and see the band anchor. Let it drain for a while or you will get a eye full of fluid. If you have missed the band you can reposition it but you have to drop the valve body and take a small pick and rotate the band till it seats through a open web in the case. This is what it should look like in the servo bore if band is in position
02E14B42-E85C-4A3F-AFC5-0DE4DC4D82D0.png

Yes,drop pan and remove servo cover and servo. Find a fairly long Phillips screwdriver with a smaller shank diameter of the servo pin and push it up in the hole to see if it stops and has some resistance pushing back on it. If not you more than likely missed the band. Also you can look up through the hole and see the band anchor. Let it drain for a while or you will get a eye full of fluid. If you have missed the band you can reposition it but you have to drop the valve body and take a small pick and rotate the band till it seats through a open web in the case.

Just dropped the pan. The apply point of the reverse band is not aligned to the servo hole.

Can I get the band back on the anchor studs by taking the extension housing off and going through the rear and through the servo hole manipulating the reverse band with long skinny screwdrivers/ picks ?

You have to drop the VB. And you will see the band as stated in last post.
A2ED0E35-002E-4FA8-BEFF-CA6573C6FC41.jpeg

Got band on very simple and easy. Will now go into L1 but still won’t go into reverse.

Another problem:
When I test drove when going into 1st to 2nd or 3rd
(Hard to tell), the transmission clamps down and stops the truck in the road even tires skid on rd.
Any help appreciated.

E6B8AC6B-92E4-4316-AB0B-2CB2C1E08A27.png
OD sprag backwards.

So just to be clear

-you’re saying the reason that the transmission is clamping down when changing from 1st to 2nd or second or third and making her come to a stop it’s because I put the overdrive Spragg on backwards is that correct?

-Also what is your idea or you’re thinking on me still not being able to get into reverse even though I can get into L1 engine braking gear manual?

-And another thing is where did you get that awesome picture?! what manual because I got this ATSG manual and none of the pictures look like that.
I’ve looked for other manuals but I cannot find any seems like the industry standard is the ATSG which a lot of the diagrams and illustrations leave a lot to be desired.

transman304 please give me info where I can get that manual.

Thank you for all your help I greatly appreciate it
Iam trying to get this truck on the road for my son before he goes to college

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back