4R55E, broken intermediate band

Vikane

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
History:
Bought a '96 Explorer 4.0 4x4 with a 4R55E transmission, the car only moves in reverse.
Bought a complete donor car and mounted the transmission over from this. This transmission sets DTC P0756 after a test ride.
I delete the code and take the car for a drive. I notice the transmission hesitates to shift to second gear, and soon the OD lamp starts to flash.
A friend then adviced me to check the band adjustment, even borrowed special tool for this.
The OD band was ok, but when tightening the bolt for the intermediate band, the bolt just disappears inwards, without any resistance.
The pan and the valve body is removed, I soon realize that the "bracket" (see picture below) has loosened from the band, and that is why I can't get the intermediate band tightened up, and now there is now way around a total rebuild.

If someone could recommend a shop to buy a total rebuild kit for this transmission, and also tell me if there is other things I should do or upgrade when doing this rebuild, it would be most appreciated.

intmedbandbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, have been searching around, and it seems like some stores have different types of kits, Master kit, Banner kit and overhaul kit - http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=4R44E
And other stores with super, master and super master kit - http://www.murphysautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=murphy&Category_Code=4R5RTK

Kit with bands and all steels http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/site/573683/product/K2700H-R-4WD

I am confused.....

Some kits only have seals, and gaskets while others could have clutch plates, and steels, but not much of anything else. EBay has a lot of kits with pictures if you want to see what they have in them.

The problem is how to know what to look for.

Seems like I will order from Murphy's Automotive, any comment about the shift correction kit ?

You will not need steels in your rebuild kit, so do not order that one. As for shift correction kits, I heartily endorse them. So yes, do both while you are rebuilding.

You will not need steels in your rebuild kit, so do not order that one. As for shift correction kits, I heartily endorse them. So yes, do both while you are rebuilding.

Why do I not need the steels ?

Is it difficult to mount the shift correction kit ? Any information about this upgrade and installation ?

Check the sticky thread called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary.

Is the shift correction kit installed in that thread ?
Have gone through the thread, but can't find it.

I am ready to order the rebuild kit, the ATSG manual and the correction kit now, if not anyone advice me otherwise.......?

Back