4R55E Delayed Reverse and Forward, Shift Flare, Harsh Reverse, Intermittently Losing forward... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E Delayed Reverse and Forward, Shift Flare, Harsh Reverse, Intermittently Losing forward...

Hakan Kayas

Reaction score
City, State
Istanbul
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4.0
Hi, I bought a 1996 Explorer XLT 4.0, and i have some issues in my transmission.

When i put in R or D it engages about 4-5 seconds later. I changed the filter and the fluid to fix that, but nothing changed. The fluid was brown but the filter was clean.

Before the fluid change it sometimes did a 2-3 shift flare. After the fluid change the shift flare got worse, almost everytime and started doing it in 1-2 shift changes also.

And i had a new problem. When the car was cold, after the take off, a few seconds later it lost forward for about 10 seconds. I revved the engine but no power to the wheels. Then it engaged again. It repeated that 3-4 times every cold start. After the warm up it doesnt do that again. I checked the fluid level again when it was cold, i thought it was low and added about half a quart more fluid untill the top off the crosshatch area, and losing forward issue was gone. Bu it was about half an inch higher than the crosshatch area when it warmed up.

Then i added Lucas transmission fix to the transmission. First sucked the fluid in the pan, then added Lucas to 3 quarts of new transmission fluid, and put into the transmission untill the correct level. The shift flare disappeared immediately, delayed engagement was better but still there. And losing forward when cold was back. I added half a quart more again and solved it.

And i had a new problem. When put in reverse when cold, it delayed more than usual and bumped hardly, the O/D Off light started flashing and the rpm dropped. I shut the engine off, started again and it did not do it again for a long time. Recently it did it two more times. Last one was this morning. It bumpes really hard and i'm afraid of damaging the transmission.

And i see another issue as i drive. Sometimes the truck goes forward easily at about 1700rpm, but sometimes it goes at about 2100rpm in the same conditions. I first felt that when i floored it for some time. And in the next take off, it needed more rpm to move. It did that before the fluid change. When it does that, while climbing a hill slowly, i feel a little bit fluctuation at the movement, it pushes and releases intermittently, but not so noticable.

What might be the problem? In my country this truck is not so common, so i want to be sure about the problem before i take it to a shop, or maybe i can fix it myself.

Thanks in advance.

It looks like it's rebuild tranny time. It looks like you might have more than one issue with the transmission, one being servo bore wear, aftermarket servos are available to correct the problem of delayed reverse and the shift flare, on top of that you probably have burned friction plates/bands, of which will only get worse with use. There is also a good change you may have an EPC solenoid issue too, a good scanner that can pull the trouble codes for the transmission would be a good start at diagnosis.

Your valve body may need replacing. I recently put a Shift Rite valve body with the TransGo kit installed in my 5R55E. It completely solved the weak reverse issue i had with the transmission. The valve body that I replaced was the original with ~265,000 miles on it.

It now shifts and drives like a new transmission in all gears.

Thanks for the replies. I'll start cleaning the solenoids and the valves, if i can remove them. Even on some how to videos, they cant remove some of the valves :) Also i will measure the resistances of the solenoids and change the gasket. I think its a good idea to hook a pressure gauge and see the pressures in gears. I forgot to mention if i repeadedly put in R-D-R-D a few times later the delay goes away, but comes back if i wait a while. By the way the milage is 255K, but the odometer gear was broken when i bought it, so its more than that.

Back