4r55e input shaft jammed, need help removing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r55e input shaft jammed, need help removing

willfargo

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Summary!:
Input shaft pulled out 3/4" without me knowing and I repeatedly tried to stab engine on to trans with no success. Hired mobile mechanic to come diagnose the issue, he noticed the input shaft sticking out too far... and attempted to HAMMER it in. So.... It is STUCK STUCK STUCK.

I have now been told by others on the forum that it will be jammed into the trans pump which may be damaged and in need of repair or replacement. I don't think the TC was pressed onto the pump so I doub't it got damaged, as the block never got closer than 3/4 inch from the trans

From the research I've now done it looks like the input shaft ends up in the planetary gear for the OD.
I've pulled the bellhousing off, but am too nervous to start pulling bits out of the trans, as I don't want to end up unable to assemble them.

Is there an easy way to get that planetary gear out so I can remove the shaft and inspect the splines for damage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Jko80 and @transman304, sounds like you're well known on this sub for info. Let me know if this is something I should attempt. Thanks!

If you have already removed the bell housing/pump I would go ahead and remove the drum, planet and hub all the way down to the center support.

Stand the transmission up on its end and loosen the band adjustment bolt to release the front band to get it all out. The band struts will fall off at this point so pay attention how they go, its pretty straight forward.

You may have to use a press to get the shaft back out of the planet. Inspect the planet for damaged splines it might have to be replaced it they are screwed up.

Once you get this far we can help you get it back together so don't worry about that. Keep things in the order they come out to make getting it back together easier.

Thanks so much for your help! Should I put the bell housing back on to drop the trans? I was hoping to not need to remove it but it sounds like it's necessary

Oh, the trans is still in the vehicle just no motor, gotcha.

In order to do it right and not mess anything up you should have the transmission completely out. You dont really have to put the bell housing back on if you dont need too, just may be a little messy if it's still full of fluid.

@JK080 what a guy you are :dpchug:

I seen your name says your from Ga it reminds me of my grandmas sausage gravy and biscuits with grits and cheese. ....you know what I'm talking about:)

MMMMMMM sausage gravy

Well this is as close to a miracle as I have ever experienced.
Just from reading how much of a pain in the ass dropping the transmission would be in a 4x4 with no transmission jack, I decided to have it towed to a trans shop and kiss ~$400 goodbye.
Went out to reattach the bell housing so nothing fell out while it was being towed, got it installed and my hand brushed the shaft and it just slid out.
I pulled it all the way out, inspected the splines and saw no damage. I've reinstalled it 5 times making sure it fits into the planetery gear without trouble, it goes in easy every time.

The one thing holding me up now is the small o-ring gaskets for the bell housing bolts. I just realized I bought o-rings labeled as transmission pump bolt o rings.

I can't seem to find the gaskets for the bell housing bolts anywhere online. Anyone know what they are called and where to find them?
Thanks! Crappy day has really just turned around for me

20191205_141601.jpg

He'll yea .......America:usa::usa::usa:....

yeah buddy!!!! win one for the good guys

well finally got everything back together.
But when I started it up I got 4 transmission codes
P0750
P0743
P0755
P0760
Hoping that means I just left a cable unplugged or something, but I am always pretty good about that. Had to call it a night, just wanted some insight for tomorrow

Found a connector that must have wiggled off with the repeated transmission raising and lowering. No more codes, will bolt up exhaust and test drive in the morning. Thanks again for any help given!

Back