4r55e new VB, same old shift flare | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r55e new VB, same old shift flare

lloydct

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger STX
After reading on this forum and explorerforum.com I decided to buy a VB from centralvalvebodies.com I also upgraded to the transtec viton d-ring kit for the reverse servo piston.

The 2-3 shift flare issue is still there but the delay and rpm jump isn't as severe. I have no more downshift clunking. When I go into reverse the engage time is longer than it used to be but when I shift into drive it is much more abrupt and firm.

when I installed the reverse servo piston it was very tight, could this be an issue for the 2-3 flare? I have read that this piston is part of the 2-3 shift sequence in the 5r55e tranny, but cannot confirm this for the 4r55e.

I adjusted the bands to 10ft/lbs and de-tensionsed 2 turn on the front band and 2.5 turns on the back band.

What else can I do to troubleshoot the flare issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call central VBs and see what they say. That servo piston is only for reverse and manual 1st.

Did you ever get a solution?

Did you do a flush with the correct fluid?

I still have the issue. Donny at central valve bodies recommended removing the VB with the tranny still warm and re torquing the bolts and also verify the reverse servo seal is not damaged and those bolts are torqued correctly.

I have not done this yet.

By flushing the tranny, do you mean by power flushing the whole transmission? I drained all of the fluid when I did the VB and replaced with new fluid, whatever is in the torque converter stayed in the torqu converter. I used Mercon V fluid.

I was considering trying the Sea foam Tranny Tune to see if it helped any prior to dropping the pan again.

Back