• Register Today It's free!

4R55E problems.

srjohns1

Reaction score
City, State
Lumberton, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
I all I have read this fourm for sometime and enjoy it this is the first time to post hope you can help.

I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0 4R55E had it bebuilt about 75K ago worked fine developed a 2-3 flare after it warms up took it to the shop they changed 2 solenoids worked good for about 3 weeks started 2-3 flare again took it back they said it needed rebuilding I brought it home pulled the trainsmission it was clean inside took it apart all clutches looked new the overdrive and int. bands were a little dark, not bad I rebuilt it installed all new bands 2 new servo pistons and a rebuilt valve body from central valve body with updates still have the same problem 2-3 flare when temps gets up. I need help. THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmission section. It sounds like it could be the part in the valve body that is controlled by temperature. It controls the flow to the front cooler when it reaches a predetermined temperature. What code numbers are you getting? Take a look at # 98 in my list of useful threads for more information.

The code reader I have don't show any codes I don't think it is the valve because I replaced with rebuilt valve, still have the same problem I was thinking a sensor, or computer. Thanks for your reply

FYI - the factory transmission behind the Ranger 3.0 in 2000 was the 4R44E. The 4R55E trans was used in the 95/96 4.0L Ranger/Explorer.

Ok. Thanks I also ran a line pressure test cold D,2,1 98-100 P,N 118-120 R 170 Hot
D,2,1 92-100 P,N 100-118 R 150 also ckecked the voltage on tps .88 idle 4.62 wot no codes or flashing o/d light. I was thinking about the Int. and overdrive servo springs in the manual they list the same part no:7D028 my transmission has a yellow one on the Int. and black one on the overdrive. Thanks for your help.

I called the Ford dealer he said the overdrive servo spring is ether blue are green the int, is ether yellow are orange so I don't think I have the springs switched any ideas please respond.

Has anyone experienced a problem with tss sensor and will this cause my problem,
how can I check the sensor.

Servo springs

I can't really help with your shift issue, I have a 96 Explorer with the same tranny. I presently have both servos out of the vehicle for a different problem.
I first noticed with both servos pistons were physically quite a bit different. The first perceptible difference on my transmission is the Intermediate servo had a much heavier spring (longer and thicker).The second difference was the piston covers and piston diameters were different. My Intermediate servo cover has an inside diameter of 2.075, while the OD servo cover has a diameter of 2.317. Plus the 2.075 diameter piston cover is machined a bit deeper for more piston travel. On line at a couple of web sites I was able to pin down replacement pistons, but I also noticed one that sold orange, blue and green springs as well. I wasn't sure of the color code rating to spring characteristics either. However, when I called Ford for replacement servo parts, they only sold one size of servo piston for both servos for my tranny, but they did sell I the green and orange color springs. The interesting thing about the servo diameter differences, is they are a product of the servo cover and the addition of a matching piston. I'm not sure of any additional transmission implications and what this all means.
I also haven't figured out if the newer years have only one size servo piston or if the parts individual at Ford was in error. I remember when I purchased my 96 got the tow package, maybe that why the servos are different.
I got all my replacement servo parts on line so far, minus the springs, which I will probably get from Ford.
I doubt if any of this is much help, but the fact the spring tension on my intermediate servo is much higher.

Good luck

Back