4R55E Rebuilt transmission: Shift solenoid C | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E Rebuilt transmission: Shift solenoid C

1992fordgreen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 4X4 EB
197,511 miles
Transmission was rebuilt less than 100 miles ago and has had problems ever since. The transmission rebuilder came to bail me out in adjusting the bands. The trans is ALMOST PERFECT NOW, 90 percent! Only issue now is that there is a 1k RPM flare from 3rd gear to 4th. CEL was on, so I pulled the code and it said Shift Solenoid C CKT Performance Stuck Off.

The tranny rebuilder said he recalls that one of the solenoids tested slow, but passed, so we have our accusations accurate, most likely.

My question:

Is there a video/DIY or something where I can educate myself in replacing the shift solenoid? Even diagrams will help. Imp? BrooklynBay? JK? Any advise to be shed will be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this same problem for solenoid C. Tranny rebuilt, issues still, and I replaced solenoid C and still have the same issue. Does you car shift into overdrive? Mine does not at 55, and the code I get is for solenoid C. I cannot even turn my OD off.

When you drive, are your RPM's in the 3k around 65mph? I am trying to get help on this as well, and still cannot get this figured out. I hear it can be the Torque Converter, the wiring, the solenoid (but not really since I just replaced it for the 3rd time.) or a bad gear, but it has been REBUILT.

Here is how you replace the solenoid for C (3) http://www.justanswer.com/ford/6ao8p-ford-explorer-codes-po-761-shift-solenoid-c.html

I have this same problem for solenoid C. Tranny rebuilt, issues still, and I replaced solenoid C and still have the same issue. Does you car shift into overdrive? Mine does not at 55, and the code I get is for solenoid C. I cannot even turn my OD off.

When you drive, are your RPM's in the 3k around 65mph? I am trying to get help on this as well, and still cannot get this figured out. I hear it can be the Torque Converter, the wiring, the solenoid (but not really since I just replaced it for the 3rd time.) or a bad gear, but it has been REBUILT.

Here is how you replace the solenoid for C (3) http://www.justanswer.com/ford/6ao8p-ford-explorer-codes-po-761-shift-solenoid-c.html
Thanks for the link.
No, my problem isn't the torque converter. The only time when it IS the torque converter, is if the fins inside it that swish the ATF around are broken, but that's rarely the case. The trans rebuilders test the TC.

My Explorer goes in and out of OD every time. OD works fine. At 80 MPH, the RPM's are at about 3k, maybe a little less. My trans is fine except the little 3rd-4th gear flare rev from a slow solenoid.

I hope you find your problem. Make sure the exhaust isn't melting any of your wires.

Did you adjust the OD or the Intermediate bands?

Thanks for the link.
No, my problem isn't the torque converter. The only time when it IS the torque converter, is if the fins inside it that swish the ATF around are broken, but that's rarely the case. The trans rebuilders test the TC.

My Explorer goes in and out of OD every time. OD works fine. At 80 MPH, the RPM's are at about 3k, maybe a little less. My trans is fine except the little 3rd-4th gear flare rev from a slow solenoid.

I hope you find your problem. Make sure the exhaust isn't melting any of your wires.

Did you adjust the OD or the Intermediate bands?

No problem, hope it helps.

3k is still high still for 80mph. mine is between 3-3.5k, which is bad and eating gas like nothing, and needless to say, awful for the transmssion. I wish it were lower than 3k. At least your OD is working properly.

I have never done much with the tranny other than replacing the harness and/or the solenoids. The OD and intermediate bands are by each other, correct, on the side of the tranny or inside the tranny? Does it need to be dropped? Or am I thinking of the overdrive brake? Do you have a diagram on how to adjust the OD and intermediate bands?

No problem, hope it helps.

3k is still high still for 80mph. mine is between 3-3.5k, which is bad and eating gas like nothing, and needless to say, awful for the transmssion. I wish it were lower than 3k. At least your OD is working properly.

I have never done much with the tranny other than replacing the harness and/or the solenoids. The OD and intermediate bands are by each other, correct, on the side of the tranny or inside the tranny? Does it need to be dropped? Or am I thinking of the overdrive brake? Do you have a diagram on how to adjust the OD and intermediate bands?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392175
There is a helpful thread. Cant find a diagram at the momento.

The two servo caps on the passengers side of the trans, those are the opposite sides of the bands. Directly on the other side is the intermediate band adjustment nut and stud, (which is farther back, towards the t case), and in the front we have the OD band adjustment nut and stud. The nut is 3/4 open end, and the stud will need either an 8mm, or a 9mm socket. Read my thread in the link. No dropping draining around needed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392175
There is a helpful thread. Cant find a diagram at the momento.

The two servo caps on the passengers side of the trans, those are the opposite sides of the bands. Directly on the other side is the intermediate band adjustment nut and stud, (which is farther back, towards the t case), and in the front we have the OD band adjustment nut and stud. The nut is 3/4 open end, and the stud will need either an 8mm, or a 9mm socket. Read my thread in the link. No dropping draining around needed.

Wow, excellent, I will try that. Mucho thanks! Hopefully I can torque it right, I need 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench, I hope Autozone has it or I will order from rockauto.

Have you ever done this? Fairly cut and dry?

Wow, excellent, I will try that. Mucho thanks! Hopefully I can torque it right, I need 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench, I hope Autozone has it or I will order from rockauto.

Have you ever done this? Fairly cut and dry?
Well, to tell you the truth, I got both the FT/IB and in/IB torque wrench and I ended up not using them. The trans rebuilder came and bailed us out, and all he used was feel for it. Only mess with the OD band if you think it might need adjusting.

In your case, you might wanna use an inch pound torque wrench. Has the trans been meddled with recently?

I dont use a torque wrench to do this either, and I adjust the bands to one turn out and have for many years. These bands can be adjusted as needed to help with shifting issues. If adjusting the bands helped I would continue to do so until the problem goes away or until a "bind" is felt during the shift. You dont want it to bind this can wear the bands and clutches prematurely.

Are you sure you have a 3-4 flare?

To get a flare one component is released before the other component can come on, so its a timing thing where you end up slip for a second. The problem I see with a 3-4 flare is that nothing is released to get 4th gear. The forward drum and the direct drum are on for 3rd, then just the overdrive band is applied for 4th. So a flare seems unlikely because nothing is changing but the addition of the band.

Are you sure you have a 3-4 flare?
Yes. I'm sure, and the code read shift solenoid C, which is SS3, which is what I replaced.

To get a flare one component is released before the other component can come on, so its a timing thing where you end up slip for a second. The problem I see with a 3-4 flare is that nothing is released to get 4th gear. The forward drum and the direct drum are on for 3rd, then just the overdrive band is applied for 4th. So a flare seems unlikely because nothing is changing but the addition of the band.
Yes, he code said the solenoid was "stuck closed", so I assume it was barely moving, if at all. We also adjusted the OD band.

And all odds point to SS3 being slow/bad! Trans rebuilder, the code, and the symptoms.

Anyways, I replaced SS3. Made sure to make everything nice n tidy, as found, untouched. We shall see if this fixes it.

Thnx for the input, James.

Well, to tell you the truth, I got both the FT/IB and in/IB torque wrench and I ended up not using them. The trans rebuilder came and bailed us out, and all he used was feel for it. Only mess with the OD band if you think it might need adjusting.

In your case, you might wanna use an inch pound torque wrench. Has the trans been meddled with recently?

The tranny has been rebuilt, but it still drives the same way as it did before, and was told it was electrical. Then did a ton of electrical testing and harness testing and solenoid testing and found nothing. I do not think they even thought about do the OD adjustment when they rebuilt it or even looking at it after the issues. From hat I have read, a lot of people do the adjustment when they have OD issues, so I am going to give it a try. If the OD is not working, adjusting it is the logical route, correct?

The tranny has been rebuilt, but it still drives the same way as it did before, and was told it was electrical. Then did a ton of electrical testing and harness testing and solenoid testing and found nothing. I do not think they even thought about do the OD adjustment when they rebuilt it or even looking at it after the issues. From hat I have read, a lot of people do the adjustment when they have OD issues, so I am going to give it a try. If the OD is not working, adjusting it is the logical route, correct?
I assume so...last sentence...

I assume so...last sentence...

LOL, I do as well.

Does anyone else have a view on this? Is the right course of action? From what I have read it is. Would love more input. I was going to work on the servos, but this might be another route to go in.

Back