• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4R55E to 5R55E swap

tricked94camaro

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4Dr XLT 4.0
i have a 1996 explorer with the 4R55E tranny. i was wondering what it will take to put in a 5R55E tranny. will it be a direct bolt in or will i need to do some adjustments? is the bellhousing pattern the same? one more thing, the 4r is 4 speed auto and the 5r is 5 speed auto. problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
physically it should bolt in... but hte tranny is computer controlled, your current computer will not work

tricked94camaro

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4Dr XLT 4.0
what if i were to take a computer out of a explorer that is equipted with the pushrod 4.0 and a 5R55E tranny. would that work?

DJRockit69

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 ex 5.0 swap 4406 swap
Hey Im honestly thinkin about doing the same thing i did find this that might help us out

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34303.html

and the computer question is a good one I have the OHV engine anf the explorer Im thinking about taking the tranny out has an OHV Im going look at wiring harness for the tranny tomarrow if i get time to